Laptop

Laptop questions? Ask a laptop technician for answers ASAP!

I can not update my windows 10 11. I can not update my

I can not update...

I can not update my windows 10 11

Technician's Assistant: What device or product does this involve?

I can not update my windows 10??

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your computer?

Tosahiba Satellite L455

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your computer? What have you tried so far?

About a week. Tried downloading window 10 update- no success.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

I am not the most knowledgeable on computers (84 yrs of age)

1/15/2018
bbao
bbao, Senior Laptop User

> I can not update my windows 10 11

What's the specific symptom of the Windows 10 not updated? More details please? Thanks.

Keep getting message that windows 10 needs updating, I try but message says it c annot be updated and gives error message "Oxc(###) ###-#####34;.

On Windows 10 this error turns out to be caused by the existence of $WINDOWS.~BT in the root directory of the system drive C:.

Rename the folder to something like $WINDOWS.~BT.backup and reboot then try the update again. It should be fixed then.

Two years ago I used a remote assistant who installed a virus on my computer and ruined it. Trusted??

You mean an expert from JustAnswer?

I don't remember!
Anyway, please try renaming $WINDOWS.~BT folder and let me know the result. Renaming a folder is not harmful to your system. Thanks.
I don't remember, but it was a bad experience. I followed your advice and renamed $WINDOWS-BT as you suggested but it did not seem to cure the problem. The up date will install up to 99% and than refuse to complete!!
After renaming that folder, did you reboot the computer? I am wondering you didn't reboot...
I did reboot, but no change?
If so, just wait, be patient, it will be done finally. As the computer hasn't been updated for a long while, it could take a long while to finish the whole process. FYI - My Windows 7 took 5 days to finish the update after not in use for 2 years.
bbao
bbao, Senior Laptop User
Thank you. I will leave my laptop on for several days and hope that the update completes installment.
My laptop has been on for several days now but the update still says it is only 99% installed. Apparently there is something else blocking that last 1% ????

Please be patient, it will be finished soon or later. Let's wait for two more days, if the problem persists, I will offer to your a FREE remote session for troubleshooting.

BTW, please make sure the computer is WELL CONNECTED to the Internet. :)

I have left my laptop turned on for over a week and my router finally gave out and I had to replace it. Tried updating again, but still indicates the update is only 99% complete!!! I guess I should give up??

No. It is a well-known issue of Windows 7. Just keep it running, it will be finished soon or later.

FYI - My last experience with my Windows 7 running a Dell laptop - ONE week for updating a system not in use for 3 years.

I will try a while longer.
A couple of days ago, a message told me that I am now updated in Windows ten! It was a long haul and you were right- thank you!!!
Great to know. You are welcome. Enjoy your Windows 10 and prepare for more updates! LOL!