Laptop

Laptop questions? Ask a laptop technician for answers ASAP!

When I try to turn my laptop on it makes a sound like the…

Customer Question
When I try to...

When I try to turn my laptop on it makes a sound like the fan is trying to work but then it doesn't turn on and I have it plugged in.

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your laptop?

Microsoft 10

Technician's Assistant: Does your Microsoft laptop make any noise when rebooted? Are any of the LED lights on?

No nothing.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

It was slow to start a few times before this happened and the fan would make a lot of noise.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Laptop
1/8/2018
Laptop technician: Bryan, Computer Support Specialist replied 3 months ago
Bryan, Computer Support Specialist

Hello, and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you today.

Hello

Please do this first:

Disconnect the power charger and the battery from the back of the laptop (IF removable.)

Next, HOLD down the Power button for a full 60 seconds and then release.

Next, re-connect the power charger and press Power again - does it boot up all right now?

Do keep me posted below; thank you.

It is still making a noise like the fan is trying to start and the two lights on the front are white but otherwise it didn't do anything, no reboot.
How can you remotely connect to it when it doesn't even start up?

PS: Please ignore any offer shown on this page; it's sent at the site's end and not by me.

I see. Let me open up your question to our other experts who will be able to assist further; you will be automatically notified by email when another expert picks this up.

Could it be the power source?
Laptop technician: bbao, Senior Laptop User replied 3 months ago
bbao
bbao, Senior Laptop User

1. Use a multimeter to test the voltage of the AC adapter's DC output, make sure it is in working range as per the spec marked on the AC adapter.

2. If the voltage is in normal range, then the power source is good. Actually, the fan is working, the indicators are working, they all suggest the power source is highly likely good.

3. Please wait for a while after powering up, if you feel hot at the back of laptop, it means the processor is working, at least.

Please advise. Thanks.

It is warming up a little but I wouldn't say the fan is working. You know the sound an old car makes when you try to start it and it doesn't want to start. That's what the sound the fan is making reminds me of. It wooshes briefly and then off and then wooshes and off again, it never really gets going like it should, it just keeps trying as long as I leave it on. I used compressed air to clean the fan out, but that didn't help. The only spot that is getting a little warm is the vent area right by the fan and it isn't getting warm like it usually does. I can't test the voltage at this time, but will as soon as I can. If the fan isn't working correctly could that keep it from turning on?Are there any other tests I can do? What are some other possible reasons it isn't working? If I need to send it somewhere to be fixed, where would be the best place?

> You know the sound an old car makes when you try to start it and it doesn't want to start.

A typical symptom of low voltage. Please stop trying that again as it may cause physical damage permanently. Please test DC voltage now!

> If I need to send it somewhere to be fixed, where would be the best place?

Where are you located? Please advise so I can list a few nearest workshops for you. Thanks.

bbao
bbao
bbao, Senior Laptop User