Laptop

Laptop Questions? Ask a Laptop Technician for Answers ASAP!

Laptop

I have an Acer One Cloudbook 11 and I can't get disk clean…

Customer Question
Second opinion] I have...

Second opinion] I have an Acer One Cloudbook 11 and I can't get disk clean up to work, even though I've followed the instructions several times

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your CloudBook?

Windows 10 and I'm running out of memory because it can't delete the temp files. My gf had the same problem on her Acer.

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your CloudBook? Have you installed any updates recently?

I have tried the disk clean up instructions, computer then says it will clean up the files, but it doesn't. I won't take any updates. Says not enough memory.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

No that's about it, same problem on two identical laptops.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Laptop
1/2/2018
Laptop technician: syseng, Information Systems Manager replied 1 month ago
syseng
syseng, Information Systems Manager

My name is David.

When you run the disk clean up make sure you select the clean up system files and remove all the old installer files check boxes.

If you have been doing that and it is still not working, click the Windows start button then click the Search box and type

cmd

in the Search box and right click on the command terminal icon that appears in the Search list and click Run as Administrator.

Then in the command terminal enter each of the following commands and press Enter after each command:

net stop wuauserv

ren %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old

net start wuauserv

rd /s /q %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution.old

Then check the disk space to see how much is recovered.

Please let me know if you have questions with any of the steps.

Do you still need assistance?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Freed up a bit of space, not enough to permit updates. Basically still have the same problem.

Did the error indicate how much more drive space you need?

Removing video, pictures, and other large files to external storage could free up a lot of space right away.

Performing a search for .iso, .zip, .mp4, .mpg, .png and other large files then moving them to an external storage drive should give you the space you need.

Also, if you have not cleared the web browser cache, you should do that as well because web cache usually stores large numbers of image files which take up a lot of space.

Do you still need assistance?

syseng
syseng
syseng, Information Systems Manager