Laptop

Laptop questions? Ask a laptop technician for answers ASAP!

I forgot the password for my laptop how can I reset it,

Customer Question
I forgot the password...

I forgot the password ***** my laptop how can I reset it

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand/model and Operating System (OS) of your laptop?

Aspire One Cloudbook 14 Windows 10

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your Aspire? Have you installed any updates recently?

No updates other than what runs automatic we have tried every password ***** have ever used. My granddaughter set it and now can't remember

Technician's Assistant: The Laptop Technician will be able to walk you through that. Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

No thank you

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Laptop
12/22/2017
Laptop technician: AnswersByEric, Computer Support Specialist replied 3 months ago
AnswersByEric
AnswersByEric, Computer Support Specialist

Hi! I'm Eric and I will be the expert assisting you today. I'll do all I can to provide you with excellent, 5-Star service. While I take a moment to read over your question, please read the following:

• Offers you see for Remote Assistance or Phone Calls are not me recommending them, it is this website. I am more than happy to accept your request for one, but you don't have to.
  • Please keep this browser open. If you close it, open your email to find links back to this question.
  • I will keep helping you until you're satisfied, please ask as many follow up questions as you need by replying below.

Good morning!

Yes, there is a way to get back in, but it is not by resetting or changing the password, it is by removing it. There is a special program that can be installed on a USB drive, and then used to remove any Windows Account password, so then you can log in without a password ***** create a new one.

There are two options here:

1. I can provide you with the instructions you need to follow to create this special USB drive. You will need access to another Windows PC(not the one you are locked out of) so you can create the USB drive.
  2. If you don't have access to a Windows PC to create the USB, you can purchase on pre-made with with the software installed on it, to remove the password.
I am on another device

Alright, I can provide you with the files and instructions you need. Give me just a moment to put it all together.

Ok thanks

My goal today is to provide you with the best service possible! I sincerely ***** ***** have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

1. Download ISO2Disc (click here)
  2. Download Offline NT Password & Registry Editor (Click here to download)
  3. Use ISO2Disc to burn the ISO file you downloaded, onto a USB drive (put a USB drive into your PC, all data that was on it will be erased during this process to create a bootable drive)
  4. After burning the files to your USB drive, insert the drive into the PC and reboot your PC, telling it to boot to the USB and not the hard drive. (If you need help here, let me know)
  5. Once the program starts you should see this.
  6. Press Enter to continue.
  7. It will list all the Windows partitions on the drive with numbers next to them. 99.9% of the time there is only one and you would know if there was more, just type the number 1 and press Enter.
  8. Now it will ask to select the part of registry to be loaded for editing. Since you want to reset Windows user password ***** in the SAM registry file, we have to type 1 and press Enter.
  9. You will now be presented with the chntpw Main Interactive Menu. Type 1 and press Enter.
  10. It will now list all the user accounts found in the SAM database and prompt you to select the user.
  11. After you select the user, you will be prompted to select an action from options to clear password, unlock and enable user account, or promote user to administrator. To reset the password, simply type 1 and press Enter.
  12. Once the password ***** ***** you can proceed to quit by typing q.
  13. Type q to exit the chntpw program.
  14. Type y and press Enter to write the changes.
  15. Remove the USB or CD and reboot your PC. You can now log in without a password!
Well I put the flash drive in and turned it on but it still went to the password ***** So how do you tell it to boot to the flash drive?

Give me one second to find that out for your model.

Ok, while the USB drive is in the computer, turn it off and then back on. press F2 a few times while it is on the ACER screen until it comes to a menu screen. Navigate to the Boot options. Press F6 to bring the USB option to #1, then choose to Quit and Exit Saving Changes. Now it should boot to the USB.

When I try to boot now it says no bootable device insert boot disk

Did you run the program on the USB and remove the password?

If you did, now you need to use the F2 command again, and tell it to boot from the HDD (hard drive) not from the USB.

When I used the program it would not do anything but repeat the menu everytime I selected 1 and enter.

The first time? If so, as I said it is 99% of the time #1, but may not be.. you can try to boot from that again and tell me what the options are.

I am back in the program no matter what opition I choose it just repeats them.
q = quit
d = automatically start disk drivers
m = manually select disk drivers to load
f = fetch additional drivers from floppy / usb
a = show all partitions found (fdisk)
1 = show propbable Windows partitions only
Select: [1]

Try choose "a" and pressing enter

Just brings up the menu again
only thing that works is q for quit

Alright, I am going to give you another program to try that works almost the same. I am not sure why it is not working for you.

This is called "Trinity Rescue Kit," and works the same way. There are more options, but once you boot into it, you will see the option to clear passwords for users.

Click here to download the ISO file to burn to the USB.

It says it is booting from Trinity Rescue Kit 3.4 build 372 but it cannot find TRK it looked for it on cd, usb, but can't find it so it wants me to manually enter the device on which TRK can be found

Does the PC you're locked out of have a CD drive, and does the PC you're using have a CD drive, and do you have a blank CD/DVD?

the device I am on now has one but the locked out one does not

All I can say is to try and recreate the USB, as it seems to not have been created properly. let me also see if I can find an updated version of Trinity.

Download this version and try burning it.

I can't seem to be able to get it to boot from the usb now I've tried usb fdd and usb hdd which one should work?

USB HDD should be the working option. I am sorry this is so frustrating on your end. I have never seen it boot and not work once loaded, that is a new one for me, and I have done this literally thousands of times.

No luck I will try to text you the screen print of what I have in the set up utility
Oh well it gives an invalid destination address. I guess I will just give up as I can't get it to boot from the usb.

I am going to look into why it won't work for you, and whatever I can find I will post back here.

ok thanks

No problem, I will do my best to figure this out for you, all I ask is you keep that in mind when rating my service to you :)

Hi Eric,
I was just checking in to see if you had found anything else. I just can't understand why I can't get this to boot from the USB now

I have actually been talking with a few other programmers on a forum, all of us deal with these issues all the time, and others are trying to see what they can find which relates to your issue--none of us have ever seen it respond but not work, like you are describing.

Beats me how does it ignore the setting to boot from USB

What bothers me more, is that you got the 1st program to boot but you could not get it to do anything other than repeat the menu.

that was not what I expected either. Would not let me do anything but q for quit

I know this may sound like an odd question, but are you using a wireless keyboard?

If I were close to you I would drive over and work on it myself :)

No just the keyboard on the laptop.
I live in North Carolina I would bring it to you

Does it have both the numbers at the top and a number pad on the right?

No just along the top

if by any chance you had an old wired(usb) keyboard, I would say try using the first program again and using the keyboard plugged into the laptop as maybe the number keys are not being recognized.

If you can find out anything more please let me know. We are having a birthday party for my youngest daughter so I have to drop this for awhile. I think I have an old keyboard Ill try when I get back. Thanks

Happy Birthday to her!

I will of course keep working on it.

HI Eric,
Seems that I don't have the old keyboard however I remember that even though the default choice was one I was also able to type in the number one so the number keys were working but I would still need to be able to boot from the USB before I could even try it. Any luck on finding out why it will not boot even though I have it set to USB HDD? If not I may just forget it and discard this laptop there is nothing really I need off it.

No, unfortunately no one has been able to figure out why you can make a choice in the program(1) and press enter only to have it return to the same menu--that should not happen under any circumstances. If the laptop is worth $$, and you want to spend the $15 on shipping, you can use USPS Priority to send it to me and I can work on it personally, but that would be the last option available really.

Well thanks it was just one that they got at Walmart so really not worth it. Thanks for trying

If you decide you do want to send it, let me know and we can work it out. If you feel my service to you was worth it, please rate my service at the top of the page. In the future if you want to revisit this, you can just reply back here :)

Thanks Eric,
I'm not sure how this works I feel that you did well and of course would rate you at 5* if we could have got it fixed. Even though, I still feel that it's at least 3* to 4* for all you tried to do. Do I get my money back or part since it didn't work. This is the first time I have used this service.John

John,

I will send it in for a refund. There is no need to rate me, as that will be refunded once you get your refund anyways. I hope you have a wonderful day!

AnswersByEric
AnswersByEric