Laptop

Laptop questions? Ask a laptop technician for answers ASAP!

Brand new Zbook, after transering data from old laptop

Customer Question
Brand new Zbook, after...

Brand new Zbook, after transering data from old laptop Poweron Authentication refuses to recogonise password ***** fingerprint

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your ZBook?

Win 10 64 bit PRO

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your ZBook? Have you installed any updates recently?

Currently it is up to date as I got this laptop only 3 days ago and I began transferring data using Laplink and it restarted and it went into Poweron authentication mode, Tried going to BIOS but it is refusing to recogonise fingerprint or passeord

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

I opened up the Zbook, took out the RTZ 2 minutes ago - disconnected the jumpers from the HD and pwoersupply.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Laptop
12/14/2017
Laptop technician: Elgin Vega,
 replied 7 months ago
Elgin Vega

Hi my name is***** will try my best to help you with this request.

There is a way to reset the password ***** your computer but the steps can be a bit difficult to follow, let me know if you are able to try the process.

sure.
Laptop technician: Elgin Vega,
 replied 7 months ago

do you have the windows 10 disk?

Laptop technician: Elgin Vega,
 replied 7 months ago

If your computer doesnt have dvdrom we have to create a bootable USB, you will need a 4GB pendrive.

The laptop does not have a dvdrom drive and I have a 4 GB Disk. Getting it one moment please.
The laptop came loaded with Win 10 64 bit PRO
You cannot remotely connect as it does not permit you to go beyond Power On Authentication.
Laptop technician: Elgin Vega,
 replied 7 months ago

ok make sure the disk is backed up because it will be deleted.

Follow this instructions to create a bootable media creation tool for windows 10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3Z7suxifYI

Its brand new - nothing is on it that I need.
Laptop technician: Elgin Vega,
 replied 7 months ago

yes I know ignore the remote session pop up, Ill try to guide you, but we need patience and to follow the instructions. I can connect to this computer to create the bootable disk if you want but i will use teamviewer

Downloading the Media Creation Tool.
Laptop technician: Elgin Vega,
 replied 7 months ago

ok, let me know if need any help with the guide

The only issue that I found is that it did not give me the option of Windows 10 64 bit Pro - which is what my new laptop uses.
Laptop technician: Elgin Vega,
 replied 7 months ago

its ok its just for booting is there windows 10 32bits?

but it automatically chose 64 bit and I accepted it.
Forgive me for asking this rather silly question - how can you even get the new PC to recognize the USB drive, when you cannot even get into the boot sector? It goes straight into the PowerOn Authentication mode. Just curious. Not impatient.
Laptop technician: Elgin Vega,
 replied 7 months ago

ok it is working now?

It is preparing it and it is at 43%.
Laptop technician: Elgin Vega,
 replied 7 months ago

nice

Nope Error. It did not create the tool.
Laptop technician: Elgin Vega,
 replied 7 months ago

What error you got?

Error Code: 0x80042405 - 0xA001A
Laptop technician: Elgin Vega,
 replied 7 months ago

Well without the bootable media is not possible to reset the password. we need 1 bootable windows disk to change it.

Can you try once more?

OK Shall Try it from another laptop.
Laptop technician: Elgin Vega,
 replied 7 months ago

ok

Done. Ready
The USB Drive is ready.
Awaiting your next steps.
Are you there Elgin?
Laptop technician: Elgin Vega,
 replied 7 months ago

Sorry, yes im here

Laptop technician: Elgin Vega,
 replied 7 months ago

use this guide

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NW00gdvSYoU

beside select cd selecr usn device

I connected the USB drive to the ZBook. I started the laptop. It went straight to the PowerOn Authentication Page and asked me to choose a user. (Same Screen that I have been on..)
Asks me to enter a password.
Laptop technician: Elgin Vega,
 replied 7 months ago

Ok you need to select the usb as first boot unit, let me check what keys yo need to make the process

Laptop technician: Elgin Vega,
 replied 7 months ago

Restart the computer and press f9 repeatedly untill you see the boot menu, then select usb

I am not too sure if you are familiar with the new security tool that exists with HP ZBook, it does not permit you to go beyond the PowerOn Authentication Page. F9 takes you to the same PowerOn Authentication Page. That is exactly why I was asking how you plan to make it recogonise the USB drive.Nope it does not work.
Laptop technician: Elgin Vega,
 replied 7 months ago

Ok f10 must work, to enter BIOS, and chsnge the boot options there

Tried that too sir.
Takes me to the same PowerOn Authentication Page. I attempted all the regular routes before getting in touch with you.
Laptop technician: Elgin Vega,
 replied 7 months ago

it is the windows password ***** the BIOS password ***** you are stuck?

BIOS password. It is there in the original question.
Laptop technician: Elgin Vega,
 replied 7 months ago

Yes as my fault i thought it was windows password ***** checking again

Laptop technician: Elgin Vega,
 replied 7 months ago

For BIOS password ***** need to contact HP so they can send you a bin file to unlock the BIOS.

The phone number is *****

we just wasted a lot of time without any resolution. I need a refund please.