Laptop

Laptop questions? Ask a laptop technician for answers ASAP!

I was typing into a Windows 10 Word document using a Samsung…

Customer Question
This is for information.....

This is for information... I was typing into a Windows 10 Word document using a Samsung laptop when I got the (Not responding) notification, and within a couple of seconds the document simply vanished from the screen - no normal "close" or "save as option": it just disappeared. I was able to find the document name in the file in which I had previously saved it, but when I opened it there was only some text from the previous day appearing as deleted in Track Changes. I had lost about five pages of work. All attempts at recovery produced either the blank document or nothing at all; no previous saves (and there were plenty of them) had survived. All other functions of the laptop were working as usual.

Technician's Assistant: Have you tried rebooting from a DVD or flash drive?

No - I was careful not to switch off so that some IT experts could take a look; they had no luck either! I can't send you the doc because it concerned a confidential meeting.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

What information would be useful?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Laptop
12/8/2017
Laptop technician: bbao, Senior Laptop User replied 7 months ago
bbao
bbao, Senior Laptop User
For such as situation, a remote assistance session is necessary to find out all related cache or temp files against your work. Please request it from your side.IMPORTANT NOTE: please do not open Word or any Office programs in meantime as it reset the cache and delete the temp files to be recovered.
OK - understood. Thanks for your response, which confirms other advice. But it's too late to recover anything now - I had to meet strict deadlines. No further action needed. MM

Thanks for the feedback. I guess it should be too late as the session might be taken just 30 mins to quickly recover the files from its most often used location under the user's profile. just FYI, it's up to you, and I am more than happy to help.

However, if you think my suggestion is helpful, please accept it and close the question.