Laptop

Laptop questions? Ask a laptop technician for answers ASAP!

I need to speak with a Lenovo T530 technician to help me…

Customer Question
I need to speak...

I need to speak with a Lenovo T530 technician to help me with something that will take less than 5 minutes. My T530 screen shows only white and boots up white as well; I have determined that the screen cannot be fixed without spending more money than it's worth. Therefore, I have ALREADY PURCHASED (have not yet received) another Lenovo (T570) but I want to try to save the files on my current T530 by connecting it to another laptop using VGA male-to-male. I was hoping that Fn-F7 would enable this 2nd screen but that does not work.

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your laptop?

Win 7 pro

Technician's Assistant: Have you tried rebooting from a DVD or flash drive?

No; it boots fine but I just can't see the screen because it's white. There must be a way to connect to another laptop via VGA cable and then use that 2nd screen to see what's going on with my 1st laptop.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Laptop
I already have the VGA cable and can connect the 2 laptops, i.e. 1st laptop with the bad screen - to - 2nd laptop that has a fully working screen.
12/8/2017
Laptop technician: Russell H., Computer Support Specialist replied 7 months ago
Russell H., Computer Support Specialist

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
You cannot get another laptop to serve as a display for your laptop. That is flatly impossible, because VGA ports on these laptops are output-only. Connecting two outputs together is highly inadvisable and sometimes results in equipment damage - if not often nowadays - so I hope your other laptop is still doing fine.

However, if your laptop has a VGA external port on it, then you can connect that port to an external monitor with a VGA input (even some TVs have a VGA input, that you could use!) then perhaps hit a keystroke to put the defective laptop into VGA-output mode, and you will be able to recover your data that way, I hope, with a monitor to show you what you are doing as you operate the laptop with the defective screen.

For a Lenovo laptop, the keystroke to turn On (or, when done over again, to turn it OFF...for) external display VGA mode, is to hold down the Fn (Function) key, and then strike the F7 key at the top of the keyboard, once.

If this answers your question in full, would you rate my answer?

If not, let me know what more you need to know, or what other advice you could use, and I will advise you further.

this can't be right because I had taken my laptop to a bestbuy store a couple of days ago and they did a vga-to-vga connect to one of their store laptops and my screen showed up fine on the other screen.

I'm not sure what BestBuy had, or what method they used. It would work only if their laptop had a VGA input - or if the connection was another sort altogether (for instance, by network cable and through a Remote Control app) - would that work.

JustAnswer itself uses a Remote Control app for Secure Remote service... but it requires that you run a program on the computer first, which is hard to do without some sort of screen output to guide you in running that program.

Do you need further help with the task of getting your laptop hooked up to an external monitor? which would be simplest, I think. Then data could be recovered off it to a USB flash drive, quite easily.

I appreciate your responses but this has not answered my question satisfactorily. I would go back to BestBuy if I could, but where I'm located now there's no way I can get to a BestBuy.

OK. What other laptop do you have, then, to work with? please tell me the fully working laptop's maker name and model, and I will advise you further.

Dell Latitude; don't know the model.

I will need the model #, please, off the manufacturer's label on the underside of the other laptop, the Dell Latitude laptop that is, to advise you with any hope of my advice working. Let me know, and I will instruct you.