Laptop

Laptop questions? Ask a laptop technician for answers ASAP!

All of sudden I get the following popup "windows media

Customer Question
All of sudden I...

All of sudden I get the following popup "windows media player can not play the file type --------" windows 10 and a computer 1 year old. Tried to restore the system but did not help.

Technician's Assistant: What device or product does this involve?

HP laptop

Technician's Assistant: What HP model do you have?

HP 17.3" HD touch LED Intel Quad-Core

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your HP? Have you installed any updates recently?

No updates. Several hours on google trying all suggestions.After restore popup changed to "selected file has an extension (.URL) not recognized.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

I'm 80 years old; tech not my forte!

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Laptop
12/8/2017
Laptop technician: Dan, Computer Support Specialist replied 4 months ago
Dan, Computer Support Specialist

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer, I look forward to assisting you today. Your Windows Media Player is trying to play a file that is corrupt. Do you know what it is that you are trying to play?

all of my desk top icons. be advised I am 80 years old and I try to understand what is going on. Summary: Moses tried to correct the problem but had to 'run restore'. It took 8 hours for it to finish but I ended up with a blank screen. Your Josh called me so I was able to get the date/time on the screen. Every time I tries to enter/change the password ***** no avail. I went to Microsoft.com trying to change the password ***** that did no work. The computer is 1 year old (windows 10)
I can't get on line; therefore you can't either. See my previous comments.
the resolution as I see it if my former log in did not work. Please tell, me how to access the computer password. That would solve the problem, in my opinion.
OK! I am here.
the history of the issues can be found @***@******.***

So none of your desktop icons no longer function?

I the only thing I have is a blank screen except of date/time. I can't sign in so icons ect are not visible. If you follow the history you should not be asking what I see on the screen!!

My apologies, but I needed to make sure of what you were trying to explain. I am going to open your question to another expert to assist you. Good luck!

I hope that works.
wr phelps
signing off this evening. 9:52 pm 12/7/17
Laptop technician: bbao, Senior Laptop User replied 4 months ago
bbao
bbao, Senior Laptop User

Hello

Thanks for requesting remote assistance service. Please advise your computer type so I can prepare the connection link for you, such as Windows PC or Mac computer.

HP 17.3 " HD touch LED Intel Quad-Core 8 GB RAM 1TB HDD windows 10 Laptop

Thanks. I will prepare the link soon, but I am already in another meeting, can I get back to you in 30-40 mins? Sorry for any inconvenience.

Okay, I am ready. Please click HERE to start a remote desktop session with me. Thanks.

Are you still there with mer?

Good Morning.
I am unable to log on so you can NOT access my laptop computer. The issues are I am unable to get beyond the 'password' and no matter how I try to change the password ***** am still locked out. 12/8/17 8:58 AM

So it seems the question, for now, is no longer a Windows Media Player issue, as you can't log on to the computer now?

How many users are there on the computer?

How did you change your password? From Windows Settings or at Microsoft website?

Just one user. Numerous times I have changed the password ***** the laptop. Also went to Microsoft.com and got the password ***** but was not accepted by the laptop
I have 3 different email sites and also tried to change the password ***** those. I prefer to use the email to correspond with you.
Just noticed that trying the 'pin' access the computer screen shows little white dots moving clockwise. This was evident when Moses went into 'system restore.
Okay please better take a photo of your current login screen and upload the picture here. Or, please let me know what kind of user is shown on your logon screen? Do you see your email address there?
> PIN access
Did you set up any PIN on this computer before?
I am waiting for the white spots to go away. I am shutting down now. I am sorry to say I have NEVER taken a picture and sent it any where. I now have the screen back with time/date visible. middle of screen a full circle @ top; 1/2 circle underneath. then my name then a long horizontal box containing password; underneath "I forgot my password" and underneath 'sign in options'
no user email shown
only used a '4 digit pin'
Regarding the screenshot, I mean you can use your phone or camera to take a picture of the screen locking you out, then upload to here for review.> only used a '4 digit pin'So you now forgot the pin?
I have no idea how to do that. I remind you that I am almost 81 years old and not tech. savvy.
Sorry, I am not the first expert for the question, I didn't notice you mentioned that earlier.
I did not forget the 'pin'. used on other devices and computers.
> HP 17.3 " HD touch LED Intel Quad-Core 8 GB RAM 1TB HDD windows 10 LaptopThis is why I did think I was chatting with a young tech savvy. :)
Say hello agin sir. :)
hello again.
I went to the pin sign in and it shows "the user name or password ***** *****" and a box that says OK

Okay, please click HERE to see heaps of pictures of Windows 10 logon screen, can you please choose the one that looks closed to your screen. Thanks.

I clicked OK and an email address that I have never used and underneath the Microsoft does not exist. gives an option.
Looking at all the examples "winaero" comes close. date/time lower left hand area and under password *****& sign in options
my screen is black; not green
Okay. Frankly, I am bit confused about what is blocking you to access the computer.You mentioned you didn't forget the PIN, so does it work on the login screen?
password & pin have not worked since Moses went to system restore. I guess he did that because he could not fix the windows media player. Is it possible to set up a new MSFT account?
just checking that my password & pin comments were sent.
Creating a new Microsoft account doesn't help here as you have no way to tell Windows the new account is trusted, simply because you have no access to the Windows at all.As it becomes a totally different question, due to the site's rule, do you mind to open a new question to address the login issue? Once the login issue is fixed in the new question, we move back here to address the Windows Media Play issue.
As I did not hear from you for 4 hours I was about ready to seek an answer else ware. I am willing to continue working with you but I am not a happy camper being without this computer for 5+ days. I should have continued to use the computer the way it was because everything else worked !!
Sorry due to different Timezone, I signed off and had a break.
Again, do you mind to ask a new question for the logon issue? This is the site's rule. I will help you quickly fix the login issue in the new question then we move back here to continue the original Windows Media Playwe issue. Thanks.
OK. Lets fix the sign in problem. Had no idea as to where you are located.
Thanks from Australia.
wish I was there!!
LOL
I just tried the former pin again
I get a popup saying "user name or password ***** *****". The user name is ***** ***** correct. I usually sign in with a middle initial.
Again, please ask a new question at JustAnswer saying something like "to bbao: please fix my Windows 10 login issue". Then we start on the new question to fix th login issue. Thanks.
to bbao: please help me to log in to Windows 10 as we have already discussed.
Hehe, sorry, I mean to open a new question at the site, not to ask something within the question. :)
OK: please open a new question regarding signing into to windows 10. This must keep your lawyers happy.
wr phelps
bbao: please open a new question regarding the sign in problem with windows 10

Okay, I have submitted a request to the site moderators asking them to help you on open a new question, as it seems you have difficulty to do so. Please be patient. Thanks.

I do not understand your comment that I have trouble doing something. What am I not doing ??
I no longer wish to do business with JUST ANSWER. Nothing against you bboa but after 5 days and 7 legal pages of notes , I do not have a computer that I can use. I will be going to your customer service dept. to have all charges refunded. On a scale of 1-10 I give 'just answer' a -1.
wr phelps 12/8/17 8:06 PM eastern USA
Md. Sadique
Md. Sadique
Md. Sadique, Engineer