Laptop

Laptop questions? Ask a laptop technician for answers ASAP!

The Toshiba laptop computer I am using cannot be opened for…

Customer Question
The Toshiba laptop computer...

The Toshiba laptop computer I am using cannot be opened for use. The screen is black and the word "Password" at the top left side of the screen appears. On pressing "enter" the words "Not certified." appear, followed with "system is shutting down."

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your Toshiba laptop?

I do not know what you mean by OS.

Technician's Assistant: Have you tried a PRAM reset on your Mac (rebooting and holding down Command, Option, P, and R)? Or rebooting in Recovery Mode (holding down Command and R)?

By command do you mean control or shift? I do not think this is a MAC.

Technician's Assistant: The Laptop Technician will be able to walk you through that. Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

Not at this time

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Laptop
12/2/2017
Laptop technician: bbao, Senior Laptop User replied 4 months ago
bbao
bbao, Senior Laptop User
It seems to be a BIOS password. Can you please take a picture of it to confirm? Thanks.
I do not have a camera to take pictures of the laptop. Is there something else I could provide instead of a photo?
Are you using a smartphone with a camera in it?
No, I do not have a smart phone.
Is it something like this? See attached the picture.
that is what it looks like.

Okay, thanks for the confirmation. Can I know the serial number of your Toshiba laptop?

The serial number of this Toshiba is 7A140939H

Thanks, ***** ***** review.

Are you still working on the problem I have? Your last response was Dec.2.

Yes, sorry I am outside at the moment. Will follow up in 2 hours.

That "two hours" was days ago. Are you till answering my questions? I am not satisfied yet.
I am really sorry about the delay. For some reasons you question went down to the end of my questions queue and just poped up.Okay, the password ***** ***** Toshiba BIOS password, which has no easy way to get rid of it.Officially it is impossible for users and has to be done by authorised repair centre at a expensive cost. But it actually can be done by a user with some hands-on experience, by removing the laptop's CMOS battery for a while to discharge the motherboard and NVRAM where the BIOS settings and password ***** saved.As per the serial number, your laptop is PORTEGE M780-S7234. The M700 series laptop's disassembling guide can be found below.http://www.irisvista.com/tech/laptops/Toshiba-Portege-M700/take-apart-tablet-pc-1.htmPlease follow the guided steps to remove given components until you can see the CMOS battery, remove or disconnected battery for at least 30 mins, then reinstall or reconnected the battery as it was. Then restore the laptop in a reverse order carefully until all things are completed restored.Restart the laptop and you will see an error saying invalid time or settings or something similar, ignore it and reset the BIOS settings to the default. Your password ***** be cleared.In some situation, the CMOS battery could be flat with no any power to support RTC clock. Actually it is very common for an old laptop not in use for ages. In this case, you need to buy a new CMOS battery. Just check its spec or model marked on the old battery. It's standard cell battery and very cheap.Hope it helps and my appology again for the delay.Good luck.
Thank you very much. I will try to work on these directions. Talk to you later.
bbao
bbao
bbao, Senior Laptop User