Laptop

Laptop questions? Ask a laptop technician for answers ASAP!

I just had a notice on my screen (a voice appeared) and said…

Customer Question
HI.....I just had a...

HI.....I just had a notice on my screen (a voice appeared) and said I needed to call a number and said I had a virus on my computer. I called the number (reluctantly as you never know who it really is on the other end)! It was a foreigner and I hesitate to allow them to have control of my computer.

Technician's Assistant: What device or product does this involve?

I have a HP laptop

Technician's Assistant: What's the model and Operating System (OS) of your HP?

HP Notebook, Windows 10

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your HP? Have you installed any updates recently?

I was using my computer to search Indeed.Com for jobs when this notification came on that I had a virus. I called the no. on the screen but again, it's scary to allow someone you do not know have control of your computer. I bought this laptop about 8 months ago and thought I had Microsoft Security .

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

I also thought I had McAfee Security but the man I talked with said they are 3rd party security companies and that I needed Microsoft Security???? It's very confusing.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Laptop
11/30/2017
Laptop technician: Cabletech, Computer Support Specialist replied 7 months ago
Cabletech
Cabletech, Computer Support Specialist

Thank you for choosing Just Answer. I would be happy to assist today with your question.

Give me just a moment while I review the information provided.

Before we begin, I would like to explain how the site works if this is your first visit here. The page you are viewing offers ads for things like secure desktop connection and a phone call. These are not asked by me and I will explain in our conversation if doing one of those things would help make troubleshooting easier. If you request to do either one, I would be happy to do it with you regardless.

If you are prompted during our conversation to rate me, it is as simple as choosing between 5 stars at the top right corner about my service today. Hopefully, I will earn 5 stars today. It is the only way I receive credit for helping you today.

Some things we work on may not easily be resolved with the given resources (such as needing additional media or hardware issues that require replacement). Please understand I will try my hardest to resolve the issue or answer any questions but some things are out of my control.

Finally, make sure to bookmark this page so you can easily come back to this page. If we are working on this issue and you need to step away, you can always leave me a message on this question. I will respond as soon as I can if I am not online. I check periodically throughout the day if not during my normal business hours.

I have just read your notes to us. You did a good job not allowing them access into your computer. It does sound like it was either an ad or malware in your computer that prompted the fake message.

My concern is that you might have a bug still in your computer that may need to be cleared out.

I can provide you some steps to clean out the malware (if any) and that should take care of you. We do offer a remote secure connection which is strange to offer on top of your experience today but I could help clean your computer quicker.

Of course, if you don't know, you can respond to me in the white chat box below.

Are you still with me?