Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Hardware Support Specialist for more than 10 years
49766785

I'm trying to down grade from windows 10 to windows 7. It

Customer Question

I'm trying to down grade from windows 10 to windows 7
JA: Have you tried rebooting from a DVD or flash drive?
Customer: yes it tells me to restart my computer and then kicks me off again when I start the dvd
JA: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Jess M. replied 12 months ago.

Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.
I am very sorry about your issues. Few things first:

1. What exactly is the make and model of your computer?
  2. It is a desktop computer or a laptop?
  3. May I know why you want to downgrade to Windows 7?
  4. Are you using a Windows 7 DVD installer to initiate the downgrade?

Please let me know by replying to me here so that I can help you further.
Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Toshiba satellite laptop, I need windows 7 on this lap top to interface with a j box to reflash automotive computers with manufacture software. and yes I'm using a windows 7 dvd I just purchased from amazon
Expert:  Jess M. replied 12 months ago.

Thank you for writing back with that information. Have you already initiated the installation?

In order to install Windows 7 from DVD, you need to access your BIOS settings on the laptop and set it to boot to the DVD first and not the default hard disk drive. Have you done this part already?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
No
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
We’re is this in settings
Expert:  Jess M. replied 12 months ago.

Ok. Now let me guide you through the process. You cannot see that information INSIDE Windows 10. You need to boot the computer into BIOS/CMOS screen.

Please restart the computer and then as it is restarting, press the Del key and keep tapping it until you see the BIOS screen. If Windows loads, try to reboot again and press F2 and keep pressing F2 instead of Del.

When you are in the BIOS screen, navigate using the arrow keys if your BIOS screen does not support the mouse.

Then locate the section on the BIOS/CMOS that says something like "Boot Order" or Boot Sequence.

Set the DVD drive there as the FIRST boot option.

Save and Exit and load the DVD on the drive. The installation shall start.

Here is a video sample of the CMOS/BIOS settings:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZJ5i3eYgKA

I hope that helped.

Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) if this helped. Tips are always highly appreciated!

If you need further assistance, please do not rate me negatively with 1 or 2 faces. Instead, please reply to me so that I can help you further.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Jess