Laptop

Laptop Questions? Ask a Laptop Technician for Answers ASAP!

Laptop

I have a windows 7 laptop. The wireless on my laptop went

out so i bought a...
I have a windows 7 laptop. The wireless on my laptop went out so i bought a usb wireless adapter (TP Link) which worked fine at my house. However, now i'm out of town it isn't recognizing any networks including the one in the house i'm staying at. Any ideas?
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/20/2017
Richard, Laptop Specialist

Hi there and welcome

Can you tell me what steps you have taken to try to resolve this?

Thank you

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i went to troubleshooting and that didn't fix it, it just said cable disconnected etc. I've also tried rebooting laptop (turning off and then restarting) many times and also removing and reinserting the usb adapter. I'm using ethernet cable to connect right now

Ok, connect the adapter into a different USB port on the laptop.

Does it then work?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i did try that but that didn't work. i'll try that again now to be sure and let you know

ok, if it fails do the following

Please click on Start->All Programs->Accessories, then right-click on Command Prompt and click on Run as administrator. Then type each of the command lines below, one line at a time, and press the Enter key each time:

netsh winsock reset

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /flushdns

netsh int ip reset netshlog.txt

Then restart the Laptop and check if it now can see the networks please

Let me know the results please

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i went through all the steps which looked they were all done correctly due to the responses i was getting after entering each one. i also restarted laptop. Same issue

Do you have another coputer there to connect the adapter to to confirm it is working?

Please let me know

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
unfortunately no
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i only used it for 2 days from brand new at my home by the way

I understand, but it is very likely it has faulted, these are not reliable units.

But click start, right click computer and select manage

Then click device manager

do you see a device there listed with a ! or X next to it?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i don't see an ! or an X, however when i double click it it says the device is working properly

ok, I want to do a system restore please.

To do this, close all programs.

Press the windows key (the one to the left of the left ALT key) + R and type in the run box that opens

rstrui

Press enter

Then follow the onscreen steps to choose a system restore and choose a date before this problem occurred.

Let it complete and tell me if it now functions correctly please

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
all the other network adapters it says are working ok
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i did a system restore prior to buying and installing the usb wireless adapter. I can try again if you think that would have created a new restore point?

No if you did it already it is ok.

you said the inbuilt adapter also stopped working, what did you try to do to resolve that?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i did the system restore just before i bought the adapter to see if that would fix the issue but it didn't

No if you did it already it is ok.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i paid $39 to a tech guy through just answer to remote in. I realize you and he are independent but i have a feeling you might be able to do a better job. However, i don't want to pay another $39 although i can give you a $10 tip to diagnose the issue, whether you can fix it or not

Hi there

I have not mentioned anything about money... I have repeated the same question twice now Howard... but it seems you are not responding to it anymore?

I will repeat it a third time

No if you did it already it is ok.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I think you are misunderstanding me. What i meant was i paid $39 to another technician through just answer to remote in. I don't know what he did. Because i've already paid $39 plus the cost of an adapter it's getting expensive. I have a feeling you'll be able to do a better job of diagnosing the issue, however I can only budget $10 (tip) for you to remote in if you are willing to for that amount

ah ok, well actually I think there is only one solution left for this, and there is no way to do it remotley

But can you reply to my last question please?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i'm not sure what you want me to answer. If you are asking me what steps we took i don't know because the technician did some stuff for $39 and i wasn't following what he was doing.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
what is the non-remote solution by the way?

ok, as the inbuilt adapter is also not working, and if all these repairs have been done then the best solution forward is a reinstall of windows in my opinon.

Is all your data backed up off the laptop?

Richard, Laptop Specialist
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i don't have the back up stuff with me so let's pass for now. I'll give you 5 stars thank you
Richard, Laptop Specialist