Laptop

Laptop Questions? Ask a Laptop Technician for Answers ASAP!

Laptop

I am getting a new (used) i7 desktop to replace an older…

HI again: I am getting a...
HI again:
I am getting a new (used) i7 desktop to replace an older desktop running XP. The new unit will be running windows 10 or windows 8. How do I or how can I add the hard drive from the XP to the i7 unit running a different windows operating system?
I realize not all the programs will run on the newer system, but if I simply add the older hard drive, will it appear as a new lettered drive, like a flash drive...? Will I have jumpers to set as slave and master? No rush on this...email is fine and I would prefer an answer from Robert even if I have to wait...... I will be away until tomorrow morning anyway.
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/19/2017
flopcat98
flopcat98, Consultant

Hi, I'm Robert and I'll be helping you with your computer question.

You can add the drive to the new machine

You don't have to set jumpers with the new sata drives. Instead you set primary in the bios. You would need to set the old one as non primary so it does not boot from it. Otherwise you will be running xpretty instead of the new op system. But it will probably default that way anyway

If the old drive is IDE rather than sata make sure the new computer has an IDE controller.

You should reinstall any programs from the old drive. You might be able to run them by searching the old drive for them but they won't be on the start menu and it's just better to reinstall them

The data on the other hand should all be there on the old drive and that's the stuff you can't replace

I will be out till late tonight but should be here most of tomorrow

Ps this would be a lot harder to do in a laptop. I assume the new computer is a desktop and not a laptop or all in one

flopcat98
flopcat98, Consultant
I won't be getting to this until the weekend.......desktop not laptop......will the "new" computer be able to run both a SATA and IDE drive? I will submit the rating now and follow up later. No rush on this.

If you can get me the exact model number I can check

You can buy an adapter if it doesn't.

The specs for the new computer are in the jpg attachment and the drive info from the older XP is nothing that thattells m anything other than its is an IDE drive....I ran a Belarc summary if that helps, but other than the serial # ST3250823A, it supplies a lot of details but I don't know what is useful. again no rush...wet rainy weekend coming so I will be doing this work this weekend.

I honestly can't find that particular spec for that model

But if it does not have ide connections all you need is this adapter

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812232004

flopcat98
flopcat98
flopcat98, Consultant