Laptop

Laptop questions? Ask a laptop technician for answers ASAP!

I think my HP Pavilion 2017 has been hacked. I turned on the…

I think my HP Pavilion...
I think my HP Pavilion 2017 has been hacked. I turned on the computer and I couldn't move the cursor easily and then it took over and shutting down some programs I had open. It seem like somebody was moving it remotly. Can you help me protect myself? I am communicating through my cell phone..
10/14/2017
Chris L., Support Specialist

Hello my name is ***** ***** certified computer professional with over 10 years experience. I will be happy to help you.

Is the computer operational at all?

I just shut it down and turn it back on with the activating the WiFi connection. The cursor is now in my control.
I meant I turned off the WiFi.

Ok so when off wifi does it seem ok?

Can you turn on wifi and see what happens, try and make note of anything strange.

I'm connecting to just answers on my laptop. Everything seems okay at this point. I'm not sure if I have any security software?
What should I do to make sure I'm safe now and in the future?

We can check, I would assume you are using windows 10 let me know if I am wrong. Look down to where the clock is on the laptop on the bottom write. You may see icons down there or an arrow. If you see the arrow click it. Look for a shield looking icon with a green checkmark icon. Let me know if you see that.

I am on Windows 10. I don't see the shield.
I clicked on an arrow and saw a red shield with an m in the middle.
I clicked on the shield and it says McAfee. Check your device security. Should I press next?

Or you can click the search on the bottom left and type security. Then click windows defender security center, open that and make sure it is on, it will tell you why it shows red, it may be off or may need to update and scan.

Also download Malwarebytes, go to this site and click freedownload, you do not need to buy anything. Download the program and run a scan if it finds any infections choose to quarantine them all. Here is the link https://www.malwarebytes.com/

I downloaded Malwarebytes and I agreed to let it make changes to my device. I'm scanning now.

Good job, this is a great program and if there are any infections it will find them and remove them.

I got a scan report but I don't know what to look for?

Does it show any infections found?

I tried to clipboard paste and send you the report but just answers doesn't seem to be allowing it to send. There doesn't seem to be any threat from the report.
Malwarebytes
www.malwarebytes.com-Log Details-
Scan Date: 10/14/17
Scan Time: 6:42 AM
Log File: 77af7994-b0e5-11e7-aeb3-c8d3ffec95a4.json
Administrator: Yes-Software Information-
Version: 3.2.2.2029
Components Version: 1.0.212
Update Package Version: 1.0.2951
License: Trial-System Information-
OS: Windows 10 (Build 15063.674)
CPU: x64
File System: NTFS
User: LAPTOP-K7PS23PG\choic-Scan Summary-
Scan Type: Threat Scan
Result: Completed
Objects Scanned: 388806
Threats Detected: 0
(No malicious items detected)
Threats Quarantined: 0
(No malicious items detected)
Time Elapsed: 1 min, 48 sec-Scan Options-
Memory: Enabled
Startup: Enabled
Filesystem: Enabled
Archives: Enabled
Rootkits: Disabled
Heuristics: Enabled
PUP: Detect
PUM: Detect-Scan Details-
Process: 0
(No malicious items detected)Module: 0
(No malicious items detected)Registry Key: 0
(No malicious items detected)Registry Value: 0
(No malicious items detected)Registry Data: 0
(No malicious items detected)Data Stream: 0
(No malicious items detected)Folder: 0
(No malicious items detected)File: 0
(No malicious items detected)Physical Sector: 0
(No malicious items detected)(end)

It didn't find any infection so you should be in good shape. The issues you had could've just been from the computer being overloaded with too many programs open and that could slow down the cursor, when this happens a simple reboot should fix it. SO I do not think you were/are hacked at all.

Great. Should I pay for Malware Bytes? Does it work with any other security I may have on the laptop?

The only difference between the paid version of malwarebytes and the free is that the paid runs automatically. The free version you need to open and click scan. I think the free one is fine. Just do a scan with it every month or so.

Chris L., Support Specialist
Thank you so much Chris!!!! Have a great day :-)