Laptop

Laptop Questions? Ask a Laptop Technician for Answers ASAP!

Laptop

Can you tell me how to get Chrome to operate when I turn on

my computer from Sleep and...
Can you tell me how to get Chrome to operate when I turn on my computer from Sleep and if I click a tab. It now opens up to Explorer and when I click a tab it opens to Yahoo.
10/9/2017
Viet - Laptop Tech
Viet - Laptop Tech, Computer Support Specialist

I'm sorry about the issue. Do you mean when opening something from email?

What happens when you open the Google Chrome program icon?
Do you have Windows xp, vista, or 7, 8, 10, or Mac computer?
Please reply at the box below. Thank you,

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
When I open the laptop and press a button from sleep mode to start it goes to Explorer.If I click on the chrome icon and then press another tab at the top of the screen the search goes to Yahoo.My HP Pavilion has Windows 10.

Please try:

STEP 1:

- Click on Start -> Settings > Apps -> Default apps (or Start > settings > system > default apps), and set Browser option with Google Chrome.

STEP 2:

1. Click on the 3-dot icon at the upper right corner in Google Chrome, then click on option Settings.
  2. Scroll down to the bottom, then click on option Reset.
    - (Note: If you do not see the option Reset, then click on option Advanced at bottom, then scroll down to bottom again, then click on Reset.)
  3. Click on RESET.
  4. Wait a bit for it to finish, and check.
  5. If needed, close Google Chrome, then re-open it and check.

Please let me know. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don't see the 3 dot icon on the top right of Chrome?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
When I click on a top tab it opens up to:
http://search.searchipdf.com/?uc=20171007&ap=appfocus45&source=display&uid=d3725921-9d25-40d6-8bf2-a89c8c930337&i_id=converter_1.0&page=newtab&

Please click on any icon located right below the x icon at the upper right corner in Chrome. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the house icon below the x?

Please see the two red circles at upper right corner in the link above. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Mine doesn't show these dots. They use to. Please see attachment.

That's fine. Per my previous suggestion, you click the icon under the x icon at top right. In your case, you click on the red circle / white arrow. (And remove if shown, and you may get the 3-dot icon later.)

Then select Settings and reset.

Please let me know. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I selected Settings but don't see Reset?

After selecting Settings, you may need to click on the option Advanced at the bottom first, then the Reset option should be at the bottom, then select RESET.

- Or after selecting Settings, click on the 3-bar icon at upper left corner, then click on option Advanced if needed, then click on option Reset near bottom. Then select RESET.

Please let me know. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I reset it but it still goes to Explorer from Sleep mode.

Press at the same time the two keys Windows logo and R on the computer's keyboard, then type control then click OK, then the Control Panel window will open

, then open Programs / Default programs

, then select Set your default programs

, then click on the item Google Chrome on the left

, then click on the option Set this program as default near the bottom right

, then OK / close Control Panel window

, then check

- If needed, close Internet Explorer. Then press at the same time the two keys Windows logo and R on the computer's keyboard, then type control then click OK, then the Control Panel window will open

, then open Network and Internet if available,

, then open Internet Options

, then in the Homepage tab, delete everything, then type in a main website you want, such as google.com or yahoo.com etc

, then click on Apply at bottom

, then click on Advanced tab at the top right

, then click on Reset..., then click on Reset

, then close and check.

Please let me know. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
From Sleep it's going to Bing.com

Please press at the same time the two keys Windows logo and R on the computer's keyboard, then type regedit then click OK, then the Registry Editor window will open

, then open / expand the following path:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NlaSvc\Parameters\Internet\

, then double-click on the item EnableActiveProbing

, then enter 0 for Value data, then click OK.

- Then shut down / restart the computer, then check Sleep.

Please let me know. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
looks great. Just one thing... when I open it up it says Chrome isn't your default. How do I make it my default?

Did you do the followings:

1. Press at the same time the two keys Windows logo and R on the computer's keyboard, then type control then click OK, then the Control Panel window will open

2, then open Programs / Default programs

3, then select Set your default programs

4, then click on the item Google Chrome on the left

5, then click on the option Set this program as default near the bottom right

6, then OK / close Control Panel window

7, then check.

Thank you.

Viet - Laptop Tech
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Great work. Thank you!

You're welcome. Thank you for your patience.

https://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-itstuff/

Viet - Laptop Tech
Viet - Laptop Tech