Isaac Franklin
Isaac Franklin, Support Technician
Experience:  Technical Support Coach at Liberty Tax Service
93584285

I want to install windows ten but i dont know what my

i want to install windows ten but i dont know what my product code is. every time i start to install windows 10. it tells me to activate the windows 8 i am using. but ive had this computer for so long that i no longer have the box it cam e out of and the is no sticker on the laptop itself

Hello. My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Are you still able to access your desktop and do you already have the software/download to upgrade?

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
i am on the laptop now

Download and install the left option for free version of this product. It will pull all your information needed

to upgrade with your product key. Once it is done running a box will appear. Copy all of that information for your upgrade.

Then compare it by going to your search on your start menu and choose system. Compare those numbers for accuracy. It

will be at the bottom of that system box you see.

https://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

Please rate this solution with the 5 star rating to close out as it is the only way i am listed as successful and credited by the companies ledger

of solutions finished. If you need further assistance, just leave a reply and we will continue as opposed to closing out the question and email

updates between us.

Thank you,

~Franklin

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
ok the jelly bean program shows me the product key but the system window just says product key not available

That is ok, you can use the information on the magic jellybean. It is solid and pull the correct information for you.

Franklin

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
but when i type in the product key given it says its invalid

What are you using for the upgrade?

Paid from online? Free version etc? From where?

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
It was a version of Windows 10 that I have downloaded for free it's been so long that I can't remember where I got it from

they offered free windows upgrades a few months ago, but that stopped. This may be the issue.

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
i should still be able to activate windows though shouldnt i?

Not if you didnt purchase a new license/product key.

Try redownloading it from this site and read the instructions carefully.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-how-you-can-still-get-a-free-windows-10-upgrade/

Also, please read the faq's on this here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12435/windows-10-upgrade-faq

Please refer to these questions and answers especially:

All upgrades must have completed and reached the "Welcome" screen by 11:59 PM UTC-10 (Hawaii) on July 29; this is one worldwide point in time.

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
how often do you have to purchase a product? i bought this laptop new back when windows 8 first came out. it only started asking for an activation with in the last couple of weeks

Yes, but you missed the free upgrade. It was available for months.

Each new operating system will require that product key after the fee versions stop.

This was a loophole some were using as of a month ago, but if you read, you will see that it

may be closed by now as well.

https://www.pcauthority.com.au/news/upgrading-to-windows-10-is-still-free-if-you-use-this-loophole-458095

Some of these bypasses may give you a non genuine windows version message as well.

Give me a couple more minutes to look into this to see if i cant find a current loophole.

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
even if I do not want to upgrade and I want to stick with Windows 8 I still have to see the "please activate Windows" window every time I start my computer up?

That is a different issue. Your question is no longer clear.

did you try to upgrade on purpose or are you getting an update trying to 'force' you to upgrade to ten

and did you say yes to it if so

Are you still on 8

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Actually I have been using Windows 8 since I purchased this laptop and starting a few weeks ago every time I would start it up it would pop a window up that would say you need to activate your windows and I just kept closing that window and continuing on with my daily business. finally I got tired of that window popping up and I just thought that if I updated to Windows 10 it would stop doing it but I have not been able to upgrade to Windows 10 because every time I do it tells me I have to activate my windows before it can continue. But I have not been able to activate my windows because I did not know what the product key was and even when I try to enter the product key that the Jelly Bean program shows me nothing happens or it says invalid key

We can try to restore it back to before the upgrade push if you can remember the date, but i will tell you this usually wipes out

that portion of restore. We can try.

dont do this, just follow the steps to 'look' to see if there are restore points from before that message started appearing.

If it was an update, we can switch them afterward to where you can review them so it isnt forced on your pc or auto accepted

anymore.

How to use System Restore from Settings

The easiest method is through the Settings menu. To do this open the Start Menu and type Control Panel, then select the top option. From Control Panel search for Recovery, and then navigate to Recovery>Open System restore>Next

Here you’ll be presented with a list of restore points. Choose the one you want, then select Next>Finish and Windows will restore that saved version of your system.
If that doesnt work.
Shut down the windows 10 computer, start it.. When it gets to the windows sign in screen, dont sign in.

Instead, left click the power button at the bottom right.

Then, hold down the shift key on your keyboard, and then click restart.

This should bring you to the blue screen menu.. Choose troubleshooting, advanced, and then choose system restore.

Once system restore loads, choose a restore point that was one day before this problem started and then carry out the system restore.

That should fix the issue, but if you get stuck or this doesnt work then please send a detailed reply and I will assist you further as needed.

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
I forgot to mention that I did a complete factory reset the day before yesterday and the window still popped up and THAT'S when I decided to do the Windows 10 update

That Then you can try to factory reset it again as you will not be losing anything.

When you factory reset, it went back to 8 correct?

But, i suggest this as well to try first:

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3074020/windows/how-to-go-back-to-windows-7-or-8-after-an-unwanted-windows-10-upgrade.html

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
The downgrade option is not available. But I was kind of curious, if I were to download this Windows 10 to a jump drive or a thumb drive would I be able to just boot up to the USB drive with the Windows 10 on it

It is still going to continue to ask for validation.

https://www.onmsft.com/news/windows-10s-free-upgrade-much-cost-now

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
i did a factory reset again. then tried to activate the product key in CMD. this is the error i goterror 0x80070426 on a computer running microsoft windowsnon core edition,
run "slui.exe 0x2a 0x80070426" to display the error text