Laptop

Laptop questions? Ask a laptop technician for answers ASAP!

I represent Butte Valley Ambulance.. We purchased 2

Hi, I represent Butte...

Hi, I represent Butte Valley Ambulance. My name is***** purchased 2 Toughbooks about a month ago through Best Buy for Business. The model info is

Technician's Assistant: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?

Panasonic Toughbook 33 - 12" - Core i5 7300U - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD
Item BB20779446.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

My question is in regards ***** ***** "Dedicated GPS". Other than it locating ME/ the computer , I can't see anyway to use it to navigate. Do I miss understand what a Dedicated GPS does or am I lacking other software program that we also need? I can't find any info in the internal User Guide.

9/21/2017
Russell H., Computer Support Specialist

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
I advise you to go into the BIOS Setup of the Toughbooks. Look for any mention of the GPS function. If set to 'Auto', change that setting for GPS in the BIOS to 'Enable'. That may make it easier to use the GPS functions.

If that is not it, then you will need some GPS software to actually use the GPS circuitry in your Toughbooks.

If you can tell me the model # - not the serial #, which appears to be what you have quoted - I can tell you whether Panasonic offers GPS software for free for users of this model of Toughbook. Reply to me with that information and I will help you further and advise you as to what to do.

The model is CF-33AFQAJVM and is a Panasonic tough book.
Can you walk me through the steps to "go into the BOS Setup".
I've done it once a long time ago following directions.
no, no additional fees as I'm doing this on my own and will not get reimbursed. but you do indicate that theres probably a need for additional software involved. so likely that is what I'm missing.?

OK, you have a CF-33 model.

Thank you - you may ignore the solicitation for additional services (and with them, charges). I did not send that message to you, the website system did. (And I have no control over such messages.)

I will research and instruct you in a minute or five or ten, if you don't mind a slight delay further...

Thanks , no problem on the waiting. Appreciate the help.

Panasonic mentions no GPS software for its CF-33 line.

Now, you may need software. What sort of GPS software would you prefer? I think navigation, or 'finding route to a destination' software, would be most useful for an ambulance, correct?

There is this choice of software: Garmin Mobile PC, and iNav iGuidance. Both highly recommended for use in a Toughbook.

(Then there is also, if you are on a budget - ? - and would prefer Freeware: WinFast Navigator.)

There are other choices too, of course.

As for changing GPS settings in BIOS Setup:

Starting up, or restarting your Toughbook, when the Panasonic logo shows up, press the F2 button, and the Setup screen should appear. This YouTube video should show you what you need to do, how to navigate through the BIOS Setup, etc.:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuWiqOSh-jQ

and those instructions are for a CF-30 so they should show similarities that are not necessarily identical to yours, but close enough.

Be sure not to change anything in the BIOS Setup, without deliberately meaning to. Be sure to Exit Without Saving, if you think you have changed anything whatever accidentally.

And, when the GPS settings are located and set to Enable the GPS fully, you may Exit, Saving, to be sure the changed setting for GPS takes effect.

Do you need further instructions, or other details? if so, let me know, please.

If not, if this is a complete answer to your question, would you be willing to rate my work and my answer?

Excellent information. Can I print all of this. It would be most helpful to keep. And yes, Happy to leave you a rating.

Good! I'm glad to hear it. Yes, you may print (for instance) this whole case, all my advice in this case, from this page:

http://www.justanswer.com/laptop/aoyjy-represent-butte-valley-ambulance-purchased.html

And, the Garmin Mobile PC software for GPS, is here:

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/13484

Before you go, please rate my answer, using the five-star rating interface on your JustAnswer page - a five-star rating best expresses appreciation of the work I have done. Thank you, ***** ***** a great day!

one more quick question, different topic. I am our volunteer informal IT person. We also just got IPads air-2. Do you also work/answer questions on those. I might end up getting a subscription to you....

OK, good... If I cannot answer your iPad Air-2 question, someone else here surely can. (Personally I am just a bit stronger on Windows PC and DOS PC and Linux PC type computer devices. But I do support iPad questions too.) You are welcome to get a subscription to our service, we would welcome that.

thanks again, Have a great weekend!

Before you go, please rate my answer (on the star interface on the JustAnswer page) - a five-star rating best expresses appreciation of the work I have done. Thank you, ***** ***** your weekend.

Russell H., Computer Support Specialist