syseng
syseng, Information Systems Manager
Experience:  Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer with over 18 years experience in configuration and troubleshooting
13852270

I installed Linux Abuntu 14.0 O/S alongside my Windows Vista

Customer Question

I installed Linux Abuntu 14.0 O/S alongside my Windows Vista O/S on my Acer 4620Z laptop. Now, when I go to shutdown it just stays on Abuntu but will not shutdown. I have to depress my power button to make it shutdown.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Laptop
Expert:  syseng replied 1 month ago.

My name is David.

Running an fsck will usually resolve that issue. Please follow the procedure below to resolve the issue:

Shutdown then boot the computer.

When the GRUB prompt appears, press Esc to get to the GRUB menu.

Select recovery mode.

Select the fsck option and follow the prompts to complete an fsck scan and reboot then test to see if the issue is resolved. If the fsck option is not available run the following command from the command terminal:

fsck /dev/sda1

and then reboot and test to see if the issue is resolved.

Please let me know the result and if you need further assistance. Also, please provide a positive rating (3, 4, or 5 star) as that is how I receive credit for my work.
Thanks,
David.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Everything comes up as OK until it gets to "Killing All Remaining Processes" and then it says Fail.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
See attached screenshot.
Expert:  syseng replied 1 month ago.

Ok, so just to clarify, you were unable to run fsck?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I was able to run fsck but it came up with a fail as you will see the screenshot that I sent to you. The fail came up next to "Killing all remaining processes".
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What is the next step?
Expert:  syseng replied 1 month ago.

Another option is to run the same fsck command from the live CD used to install the Linux OS. After booting the system into the Live CD, open a command terminal and run:

fsck /dev/sda1

Then reboot and remove the Live CD and test to see if the issue is resolved.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The same problem exists. Do you have any other suggestions?
Expert:  syseng replied 1 month ago.

Yes, please check the logs located at:

/var/log/messages and syslog

after a shutdown (preferably using a Live CD so that you can easily see the last messages written to the logs) and let me know if the logs include any services that are failing to shut down.

If you can capture the log files and attach them here for me to review that would be even better.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The logs go by too fast. Is there any way I can freeze them so I can read it?
Expert:  syseng replied 1 month ago.

Sounds like you are opening the logs using the "cat" command.

Instead open them using the "tail" command which should give you the last 20 or so lines of the log file.

Or open using "vi" by running:

vi filename

replacing filename with the name of the file.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I think that it may be a hard drive issue since the Abuntu 14.4 was installed alongside the Windows Vista operating system. Maybe the partition is too small to allow the Abuntu to finish it's cycle and close down properly. The entire hard drive is only 80 GB.
Expert:  syseng replied 1 month ago.

80 GB should be plenty for both operating systems - just not much room for installing programs and storing files. How big is the Abuntu partition(s)?

Also, is Grub the primary boot loader or the Windows boot loader?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I think the Abuntu allotted partition was only 16 GB and the primary boot loader is Grub.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Probably too small to complete cycle.
Expert:  syseng replied 1 month ago.

Is there any empty space available on the drive you can use to expand the partition?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
There is no way to access anything since the operating system wont end.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I even tried a partitioning utility disk. Nothing will jump start it. This is why I think it is the hard drive which I am going to replace. Thanks so much for trying!!
Expert:  syseng replied 1 month ago.

Boot into the Gparted live CD - you can download at the following link:

click here

It will enable you to resize partitions, and reveal if there is a problem with the file system. Very good utility and may save the time and cost of getting a new hard drive.

Expert:  syseng replied 1 month ago.

Did you need further assistance?
Thanks,
David.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for all of your help but I replaced the hard drive and solved the problem. Thanks again for trying so hard to help. You deserve 5 stars!!!!
Expert:  syseng replied 1 month ago.

Glad the issue is resolved and thank you! If you need further assistance just let me know.

Also, please provide a positive rating (3, 4, or 5 star) in the Just Answer response page if you are satisfied with my service as that is how I receive credit for my work.
Thanks,
David.