Laptop

Laptop questions? Ask a laptop technician for answers ASAP!

I continue getting the error reboot and select proper boot…

Customer Question
I continue getting the...

I continue getting the error reboot and select proper boot device

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand/model/Operating System (OS) of your laptop?

Asus unsure of model and windows

Technician's Assistant: When did you purchase your Asus? What troubleshooting have you tried?

Tried restarting, tried taking battery out and starting without it and still nothing. I purchased about maybe 3 years ago

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

Not that I know of

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Laptop
9/8/2017
Laptop technician: Dan, Computer Support Specialist replied 8 months ago
Dan, Computer Support Specialist

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer, I look forward to assisting you today. Do you have a USB flash drive plugged in or possibly disc in the CD/DVD drive?

No

Is this a laptop?

Does it have a removable battery?

I see that sorry!

I've already removed it

Remove the battery and AC power, then press and hold the power button for about 30 seconds. Reconnect power and see if it will start normally.

Still comes on with the black screen saying reboot and select proper boot device

You removed all power and held the power button down already?

The battery was already out and 30seconds doesn't take long. I've also already done this earlier tonight

Okay just making sure. Try this for me then. Restart your PC then press the F9 key as the computer is starting. You may need to tap it several times to get you to the Troubleshoot screen. When the Troubleshoot screen opens, you should see "Choose an Option". Select "Troubleshoot", then "Reset your PC". Read the instructions that follow and select the condition you would like to have your computer reset to.

Using the F9 key doesn't work still gives me the same black screen and error message

Well if you cannot access the recovery menu, then that sounds like the hard drive has crashed. Have you noticed any problems prior to this?

No problems. My computer froze and went to restart and have never been able to get back on since. It happened 3 days ago

Well unfortunately there are not many options. You might be able to remove the drive and use a USB adapter to connect it to another computer to try to copy any important files, but that may not last long if at all.

Relist: Incomplete answer.

Do you have any further questions?

If you found my assistance helpful, please remember to rate my service. Have a nice day!

Dan, Computer Support Specialist