Dan, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  25 Years working with computer troubleshooting and networking. Comp TIA A-Plus Certified.
1567601

I continue getting the error reboot and select proper boot

Customer Question

I continue getting the error reboot and select proper boot device
JA: What's the brand/model/Operating System (OS) of your laptop?
Customer: Asus unsure of model and windows
JA: When did you purchase your Asus? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Tried restarting, tried taking battery out and starting without it and still nothing. I purchased about maybe 3 years ago
JA: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I know of
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer, I look forward to assisting you today. Do you have a USB flash drive plugged in or possibly disc in the CD/DVD drive?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Is this a laptop?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Does it have a removable battery?

Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

I see that sorry!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I've already removed it
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Remove the battery and AC power, then press and hold the power button for about 30 seconds. Reconnect power and see if it will start normally.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Still comes on with the black screen saying reboot and select proper boot device
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

You removed all power and held the power button down already?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The battery was already out and 30seconds doesn't take long. I've also already done this earlier tonight
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Okay just making sure. Try this for me then. Restart your PC then press the F9 key as the computer is starting. You may need to tap it several times to get you to the Troubleshoot screen. When the Troubleshoot screen opens, you should see "Choose an Option". Select "Troubleshoot", then "Reset your PC". Read the instructions that follow and select the condition you would like to have your computer reset to.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Using the F9 key doesn't work still gives me the same black screen and error message
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Well if you cannot access the recovery menu, then that sounds like the hard drive has crashed. Have you noticed any problems prior to this?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No problems. My computer froze and went to restart and have never been able to get back on since. It happened 3 days ago
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Well unfortunately there are not many options. You might be able to remove the drive and use a USB adapter to connect it to another computer to try to copy any important files, but that may not last long if at all.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Do you have any further questions?

Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

If you found my assistance helpful, please remember to rate my service. Have a nice day!