Laptop

Laptop questions? Ask a laptop technician for answers ASAP!

Had may Gateway laptop serviced by a tech from Live tech in…

Had may Gateway laptop...

Had may Gateway laptop serviced by a tech from Live tech in early July, said company was "LiveTech", that they did work for Microsoft. Was charged $199 for service, no time limit. Everything seemed good since then until last week when I started receiving phone calls from a person that said he was from Live Tech and that someone was trying to hack my computer. As I did not have a power cord at the time I did nothing. On Friday Aug 18 He called again, I powered up my computer and long story short he said after going through a process that he would add a Anti-Hacking tool. This would cost $297. I was unwilling to accept his offer as I expalined to him I had paid $199 in July and I was not paying again.. He insisted I accept his offer and I refused. That was the end of our conversation. On Sat Aug 19 I tried to power up my computer and was unable too. I went through a list of suggestions from Gateway to power it up and everyone was unsuccessful. I talked to my Son today and he toldme he used Microsoft and was charged a one time fee for 5 years even if he changed computers. Can you help me?

Technician's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the exact model of your computer? And what operating system are you running?

Gateway, Mod #NE56R41u, purchased Dec 2013, windows 10 operating system.

Technician's Assistant: Have you installed any updates recently?

Have been unable to use due to leaving power cord elsewhere. Put new cord on Fri and went thru e-mails. Nothing else.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?

Can someone tell me if this company -Live Tech is a representtive technical for Microsoft.

8/20/2017
Andrew Harris
Andrew Harris, Consultant

Hi this is Andrew your computer expert and I will do my best to help you today!

Live Tech is not associated with Microsoft. You can download free security programs to help secure your computer. You should not have to pay anyone to install security software on your computer. Computers with Windows 10 come with basic firewall security software installed which is more than enough security for most internet users.

You can scan your computer for malware or spyware from time to time or run anti-virus software. 360 Internet Security is one of the most popular free programs available. It can be downloaded for free at the link below:

http://www.360totalsecurity.com/

*If you have any follow-up questions do not hesitate to ask. Also, If you have found this answer helpful please click the ACCEPT button and leave a 5 star rating. That is how experts are compensated.

Andrew Harris
Andrew Harris, Consultant
My computer is not operable. It does not come on. I have tried all the alternative methods Gateway suggested on the screen and none work. That tech did something that locks me out.
Are you going to get on my computer? I am unable to get past the suggestions gatgeway sent. I am on my Wifes computer

If the computer does not power on I can not access it. Make sure the Laptop is plugged in and fully charged. Try holding the power button down for about 15 seconds to see if that resets the PC.

It powers on, however after message "diagnosing , etc" it goes to automatic repair and gives two choices - Restart or advanced options. Everything I have tried fails to repair the problem.

Ok. From advanced option you want to perform a system restore.

You can use this reference website for additional information on performing a system restore:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4588-system-restore-windows-10-a.html

You are not understanding my problem. I have gone through all the options gateway has put on the screen to restart and everkything fails. I tried a previous date and every advanced option and it does not allow it to restart.

How about starting your computer in Safe Mode with Networking?

Can someone call me at(###) ###-#### I am UNABLE to get past any of the options presented.
Andrew this is Bobs wife. I don't know where you and bob are, but let me say this. The my husband needs in on a different computer then i speaking to you on. Now his computer as crashed big time. he can't do anything. So can we begin here.

I know its frustrating that he can not log into the PC.

If you have tried the options above the only thing I can suggest is attempting to start your PC in safe mode.

how do you start in safe mode?
why does it take so long for you to respond?

From the advanced start up menu: Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Startup Settings > Restart > Press No 4 key

or No 5 Key

Safe mode with networking

OK now the dumb computer that is not plug into a power source just died.I connecting it now. Please bare with us.
I was just about to hit F4 when it went dead. NOw i must do your steps again. should i hit f4 or f5?

F5

Or alternatively restart the computer, and keep pressing the F8 key to see if you can choose the safe mode option.

Went thru your process. Gateway logo is only thing that comes up.

Alternatively restart the computer, and keep pressing the F8 key to see if you can choose the Safe Mode option. Different than the F5 option with networking.

does not show anything except gateway logo

May have to reinstall Windows 10 or it could be a hardware failure. There is nothing more I can suggest.

The tech disabled this somehow. I will keep trying pressing the different keys you suggested. Thank you. *****

You are welcome. Good luck with resolving this issue.