ChrisC
ChrisC, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  15 years as a professional computer technician.
56108293

I was checking around the web for my options now that I have

Customer Question

hello Pearl, I was checking around the web for my options now that I have won a laptop with all the hardware and a win pro coa but no os on the hard drive. I have another hp probook and it's backup disks and wonder if I can use them on the new probook (different models)
JA: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your ProBook?
Customer: Its win 7 home premium that's been upgraded to win 10.
JA: When did you purchase your HP? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I got the latest one by online auction that sells for government agencies and the date on the battery is 2012. It let me run tests for memory and hard drive and verified them present. Its got me to a page that says Boot Device not Found and Please Install Operating System on Hard Drive
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: If I need to purchase an operating system (win 7 or 10) or find a shop shouldn't be a problem. I completed a course in C++ but haven't practiced in 15 years
Category: Laptop
Expert:  ChrisC replied 2 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** welcome to JustAnswer!

First, regarding your backup discs for another, I'm afraid that no, those will not work. Each set up discs are specific for that machine and will not install on another computer.

Now, if you only have a COA for the OS, but no product key, then you'd need to buy the OS with a product key. For Windows 7, since it's no longer sold directly by Microsoft, you'd have to buy it from a third party. One example would be PC Destination (www.pcdestination.com), but you can find several other retailers just by searching for "purchase Windows 7."

If the hardware can handle Windows 10, however, then that's what I would recommend going with. You can purchase it directly from Microsoft via their website at www.microsoft.com/Store/Windows.

Those would be your two options. There is unfortunately no free way to download any version of Windows at this time.

If you have any other questions on this, just let me know and I'll be happy to answer them for you.

NOTE: If you have no further questions on this, please use the rating box at the top of the page to rate the answer at least 3 STARS/OK SERVICE or better to end our session for now. I will stand by until the answer has been rated.