Sandy
Sandy, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  B. Tech, 10+ years of experience
33602187

I forgot my pasword to my laptop ACER and do not have a

Customer Question

I forgot my pasword to my laptop ACER and do not have a reset disc.
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: 5742, probably around 5 years old
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I did not use my laptop for about 5 months and when I came to login I tried all my known passswords and it just kept sending me back to the start asking for my password
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I need to know once (if) it gets working how to create a reset disc/USB
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Viet - Laptop Tech replied 4 months ago.

I'm sorry about the issue. Does your Acer laptop have windows xp, vista, or 7, or 8, 10?
Please reply at the box below. Thank you,

It looks like you are not there. We can schedule another time.

When you are available, please type at the box below, then click on the Send button below to communicate with me, so I can help. Thank you

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Windows 10
I have received my temporary password ***** what is my next step. It did not let me in to my laptop

That's only the password ***** accessing our support website. You can ignore that for now. So you cannot open any program on the problematic Acer Windows 10 laptop. Please let me know the followings:

Does it show a name or username at the password ***** login screen?
Does it show an email address at the password ***** login screen?
Is it okay to reset the Acer laptop fresh, so you can re-set it up fresh, like brand-new, with a new password ***** want?

Please type at the box below, then click on the Send button below to communicate with me, so I can help. Thank you,

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Set up the Laptop fresh with a new Password

Thank you. Please try the following steps on your Acer Windows 10 laptop:

1. At the password ***** login screen, press and keep holding the Shift key on the keyboard.
  2. Click on the Power icon at the bottom right of the computer's screen, then click on the option Restart while still holding the Shift key.
  3. When a menu appears, then you can release the Shift key.
  4. When prompted, click on the Troubleshoot option.
  5. Then select the option Reset PC, and continue.
  6. When prompted, select the option "Removing everything" and "Just remove files.", and continue.

- Do you see a menu / the Troubleshoot option when trying the above steps?

Please reply at the box below to continue. Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No menu appeared after after step 2

Sorry. Please try another method:

1. At the password ***** login screen, click on the Ease of Access icon at the bottom; it looks like a timer icon.
  2. Click on the On-Screen Keyboard option.
  3. Click on the Shift key option at the left of the On-Screen Keyboard on the computer's screen.
  4. Click on the Power icon at the bottom right of the computer's screen, then click on the option Restart.
  5. When prompted, click on the Troubleshoot option.
  6. Then select the option Reset PC, and continue.
  7. When prompted, select the option "Removing everything" and "Just remove files.", and continue.

- Do you see any menu now?

Please let me know. Thank you,

How is it going? It looks like you are not there, so I'm going offline for now also. We can schedule another time.

When you are available, please type at the box below, then click on the Send button below to communicate with me, so I can help further. Thank you

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Nothing is working - all that happens is it keeps going back to the Login screen, no matter what I try. All I wanted was a password ***** get in to the computer.

I'm sorry. Can you please confirm your Acer laptop has Windows version 10? Or does it have Windows 7 or 8, etc.? Can you please try another method below:

1. Shut down the Acer laptop (if needed, hold the power on / off button for about 10 seconds to power it off.)
  2. Then turn on the laptop, then right away, keep pressing and releasing the two keys Alt and F10 quickly and repeatedly on the laptop's keyboard many times until a menu appears.
  3. If you get a menu, then click on the option Troubleshoot.
  4. Then select the option Reset PC, and continue.
  5. When prompted, select the option "Removing everything" and/or option "Just remove files.", and continue.

- If needed, here is the instruction video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuljT0a8F7I

Please reply at the box below to continue. Thank you for your patience.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Windows 10
Thank you. Have you tried my last suggestion yet, with the video instructions? Please let me know. Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have
Sorry, so you've tried all my three solutions, but none gave you a menu. Is that correct? Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
that's correct
Expert:  Sandy replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I'm Sandy and I look forward to help you today.

Turn off your computer.

As soon as you restart it again, please ALT+F10 key together. OR hold down ALT key and start tapping F10 key up and down unless it shows recovery options and rest the computer to factory settings.

If you have other queries regarding this, please reply back to me the box given below.

And kindly if you can take a second to rate my service(-OK or more -by clicking stars at the top of the page and choose submit), that would be greatly appreciated.