Byron
Byron, PC Support Tech
Experience:  CCNA, A+, MCSE 11 years at a large law firm.
13274453

I have a Sony PCG-2B1L, reinstall windows 7 ultimate. U need

Customer Question

I have a Sony PCG-2B1L, reinstall windows 7 ultimate. U need help finding and installing all the factory default drives of this computer
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Byron replied 8 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** you for your question and the opportunity to assist. When you re-installed Win 7

there's a possibility the Sony recovery partition got wiped in the process.

Click the start button and in the search area type: diskmgmt.msc

and open the search result at the top.

In the Disk Management window, on the lower half of the screen, can you list me the partitions

from left to right,

for Disk 0 ?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
F and C, bty, can u delete the windows.old folder? This got created after installing new windows. New new windows 7 is not the one came with the Sony computer but just regular one
Expert:  Byron replied 8 months ago.

Thank you. If you used a Win 7 install disk to do this that would remove the Sony entries.

The Windows.old folder contains all the files that were on the computer before the installation.

Open it up and look in the Users folder. You'll see the different user accounts listed.

Opening those you will see folders like Documents, Pictures, Music, Favorites, etc.

If there's nothing in there you need you can delete the entire Windows.old folder.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok, removed. Now what do I do?
Expert:  Byron replied 8 months ago.

Are you wanting to put back the software that came with the computer?

Expert:  Byron replied 8 months ago.

If you've just loaded Windows only, you're probably missing a few things. You can get the software from the

Sony site here:

https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=VGXTP20E&template_id=1&region_id=1&tab=download#/downloadTab

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
After removing the windows.old, reboot the computer but it says operating system not found. Please advise
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Expert:  Byron replied 8 months ago.

Windows.old is only a folder and not part of the operating system. Can you boot the computer from your

Windows 7 Ultimate disk. When you get to the screen asking if you want to install it, in the lower left area

choose the repair option. One of your options will be startup repair. Select that and let it run.

A missing operating system error could also indicate a hardware problem. How old is this computer?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I reinstalled it
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I will try to install the drivers now
Expert:  Byron replied 8 months ago.

Good morning. Let me know if any issues. If you get the computer connected to the internet

I'll be able to connect to it and assist.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I tried your link to install the drivers but most of them didn't install. most said for windows vista which was the original os came with the computer. I installed windows 7 64bit, your link, video driver says something like it's for 32bit. was this sony computer originally 32 bit os but I installed 64bit and that could be the reason most drivers not installing? but is it even possible to install windows7 64bit on this computer if this computer originally 32 bit?
Expert:  Byron replied 8 months ago.

Hi. The computer has an Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T8100 which is a 64-bit processor.

Windows 7 x64 will run on it. The issue is that Sony didn't produce

Windows 7 drivers for the computer. Many Vista drivers will work under Windows 7 but there's

no way to know until you try them. Which drivers are you missing?

Based on a Sony spec sheet I found, this graphics driver should work on your machine.

Try it and let me know: http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/110258/en-us

Expert:  Byron replied 8 months ago.

Also, it's very important that you have Service Pack 1 for Windows 7 installed. Any Windows 7 installation

disk manufactured before the service pack was released won't have it. To check what you have, open Control Panel>>System. Take a look at the attachment below and make sure on your machine it shows you as having

Service Pack 1

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I tried your link to install the graphic card but it says "this graphic driver not find compatible graphic hardware"
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Expert:  Byron replied 8 months ago.

Does that copy of Windows 7 have service pack 1 on it? (see attachment below)

click the start button and type:device manager and open the Device Manager search result.

I'm not sure how the graphics adapter will be labeled since it doesn't have a driver

but it will have a red or yellow marking indicating an error

Right-click on the graphics adapter and select Properties

Click the Details tab. Set Property to Hardware Ids using the drop-down arrow.

I need to know the first set of PCI\VEN numbers

I'm not sure that any Windows 7 driver exists for this hardware. Sony never sold the computer with Windows 7.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
10DE&DEV_0426&SUBSYS_9030104D&REV_A1
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
This is the number you asked for
Expert:  Byron replied 8 months ago.

Thanks. Download the Vista driver from here:

https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/swu-download.pl?mdl=VGXTP20E&upd_id=3431&os_group_id=10

Copy the file to the desktop. We're going to install it a little differently and pray.

Right-click on the file and

click Troubleshoot Compatibility

click Troubleshoot Program

select The Program Worked in Earlier Versions of Windows but won't install or run now

click Next

select Windows Vista Service Pack 2 and click Next

click Start the Program

and see if it will install in compatibility mode.

A 32-bit driver should run on a 64 bit system but not the other way around.

A 64-bit driver will not install on a 32-bit system.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
error massage saying it's 32it driver trying to install on 64bit so couldn't install
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I installed windows 7 because windows vista is so outdated
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
is there away to install the vista for this sony computer by downloading the original vista that came with the computer? I don't have the cds anymore
Expert:  Byron replied 8 months ago.

Hi. Do you have the Vista product key?

Vista isn't available for download that I know of but you can still get it:

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/windows-vista-home-premium

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No, I don't
but I used to be able to use windows 7 and installed the graphic driver some how. My friend did it for me so I don't remember. can you please find out?
Expert:  Byron replied 8 months ago.

This is going to be trial and error. I found an older Vista/7/8-compatible driver.

this is the 32-bit version

Give this a try: http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/50005

and this is the 64-bit version

http://www.nvidia.com/object/notebook-win8-win7-winvista-64bit-306.97-whql-driver.html

Sony never made Win 7 drivers for your computer so we just have to hope for a lot of luck on this.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Error massage shows as graphic card is not compatible so can't install the driver. I tried the 64bit one since my computer is 64bit. Please advice
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Expert:  Byron replied 7 months ago.

If that computer has an internet connction, go here and click Detect My Model:

https://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/select-system.pl?DIRECTOR=DRIVER&model_type_group_id=10

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Found the driver but couldn't install. What happens if I don't install the graphic driver? Will it Lower the speed of the computer or...?
Expert:  Byron replied 7 months ago.

It won't slow down the computer. The computer will be using the built-in Windows graphics driver.

You may not be able to play 3-D games but the computer will still run.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Can u find the driver that will work for this computer with windows 7?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The one from the Sony site won't work
Expert:  Byron replied 7 months ago.

I have been looking. Sony never made them and those I thought might work didn't.

I just don't know if there's even a driver that will.