Laptop

Laptop Questions? Ask a Laptop Technician for Answers ASAP!

Laptop

I have a Toshiba Tecra A50-A (PT664A-0H0699) SN: 5F084438H

Customer Question
which is currently running Win...
I have a Toshiba Tecra A50-A (PT664A-0H0699) SN: 5F084438H which is currently running Win 7 Prof 32bit and BIOS version 4.70. The 4.70 version of the BIOS does not appear to have the options to turn off the UEFI security and authorise CSM boot mode. (I am trying to recover a system image made by ACRONIS 2016 which is giving a an MBR boot error but I can not run the boot fixing disk because the BIOS will not accept it. NB Toshiba Win7 and Win8 disks are readily so not a hardware problem.) From looking at on-line help it appears these options are available in BIOS version 4.40 which is downloadable on the Toshiba support site. However when I read the documentation for it which lists the applicable models it does not list my model (PT664A). My question is can I use BIOS version 4.40 on my machine?
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact model of your Toshiba? And what operating system are you running?
Customer: I have a Toshiba Tecra A50-A (PT664A-0H0699) SN: 5F084438H which is currently running Win 7 Prof 32bit and BIOS version 4.70.
JA: Have you installed any updates recently? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: None. It has been reloaded from Win7 Prof 32 bit Toshiba load disks. However I am trying to recover a earlier image made by Acronis backup software.
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just the answer to my question: Can I use BIOS version 4.40 on my machine?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Laptop
11/24/2016
Laptop technician: Byron, PC Support Tech replied 1 year ago
Byron
Byron, PC Support Tech

Hi. My name is***** you for your question and the opportunity to assist.

Are you getting the error while booting from an Acronis rescue disk created in

the Tools & Utilities section of Acronis?

If the laptop doesn't have the options to set Boot Mode to UEFI or launch CSM it means the laptop

never came with a UEFI BIOS. A BIOS update, even to an older version, won't change a BIOS type from MBR to UEFI

as it is hardware specific.

If you want to recover something from the image that was created, and you have TI2016 installed on the laptop, right-click on the .tib file and select

Mount Image. If the image contains multiple partitions, deselect all but the C partition

and once the image is mounted Windows will assign it a drive letter and you can access the files

in the image.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
After attempting to reload the image from Acronis 2016 I get a black screen and "MBR Boot Error = 1" or "MBR Boot error = 2" depending on if it is trying to boot from C:/ or from DVD. I have tried Acronis WinPE recovery disk made on the same machine and readable before trying to reload the acronis made image. When the disk is inserted it runs for about 30 seconds then stops. The same occurs for my Easy Recovery Essentials repair disk also the same occurs for a windows rescue disk I burnt from the machine. The only disks it will read are the Toshiba Win7 or Toshiba Win 8 load disks. When I try and set BIOS version 4.70 to ignore UEFI security and use CMS boot the options are not available. I have tried repairing the image with Toshiba Win 7 boot disk which reports a partition table error but the repair does not work. Before I give completely on recovering this image I would like to try and use my Easy Recovery repair disk but for it to run I clearly need a version of BIOS that will allow me to read the disk. (Sorry for long answer.)
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
my question is if I load Toshiba BIOS version 4.40 instead of version 4.70 will it run OK on my machine?

Are you trying to boot from a disk you cloned?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I would like to use my East Recovery disk which I created from a download but it is not recognised by the system. Same as any other bootable disk I try. Only Toshiba supplied Win 7 and Win 8 disks are being read. My understanding is this is because UEFI is on in the BIOS. However my version of Toshiba BIOS (4.70) does not give me the ability to turn UEFI of and choose CMS boot. This functionality appears to be available in Toshiba BIOS version 4.40. But my model is not listed on the applicable models for version 4.40 documentation. What I was asking was if I load this version of Toshiba BIOS on model will it still run OK?

I'm going to open the question up to all experts since I can't definitively answer it.

My feeling is that it won't work. There is no firmware update the can make a

non-UEFI BIOS, UEFI.

Laptop technician: Dustin, Senior Technician replied 1 year ago
Dustin, Senior Technician

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is Dustin.
I'm sorry to hear about the issue you are having, I will do my best to help you resolve it.

Let me see if I understand the issue.

1. You have a full system image backup, through acronis.

2. You want to restore your system from this system image backup, but you cannot because of your bios.

If the above is correct .. Let me ask you this. What exact format is the acronis disk in.. If you use another computer and view its files.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The acronis was saved as a complete image of the entire computer. I have read/recovered all the individual files off the Acronis backup image and have saved them on another device so I will not lose any data. However if I just reload all files I will not recover all my programs because they need to go through the install process so they are properly registered. I would like to avoid having to go through a manual reload of all my software. When I do the full acronis recover I believe everything has been put back but it will not boot. Using a Toshiba Win 7 recovery disk and attempting to repair the boot it tells me it is partition table entry but when it attempts to repair the error it still does not work. I would like to try and repair this error using my Easy Recovery repair software but in the corrupted state it will not read/boot the ER Repair disk. I believe this is because the UEFI functionality is blocking. (If not why does it read the Toshiba Recovery disks OK?) My current version of BIOS 4.70 does not give me an option to deselect UEFI security and select a CMS boot option which I believe would let me run the ER Repair disk. So I believe I need to run a version of BIOS that will give me this ability. Hence my desire to load a version of the BIOS which I believe should have the options available.

Question.. the windows 7 recovery disk.. Is it windows 7 you had installed on your computer and currently have installed?

^ after answering the above.. On the windows 7 recovery disk, does it have options such as command prompt, startup repair, etc?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it is same Windows 7 (Prof 32 bit) and yes there is a repair option and yes I have run it and it told me there was partition table error. However after attempting to fix it (3 times) it still fails to boot and comes back to the same error again. This is why I would like to run my Easy Recovery Repair disk to see if it could repair the problem. But when I try and read that disk the system does not recognised it. (NB: The ER repair disk is successfully read by the machine after I recover the system back to factory standard Win 7 state.)

I dont want to run the startup repair option.

I want to run the command prompt.

Does it have the command prompt option?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
there is an option to select the Command prompt

excellent.. Heres what we do.

Can you get into the bios at all? If so, is secure boot on, or off?

Is legacy mode on , or off?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I can get into the BIOS but when I look under Security heading there is no option for secure boot. Only entries are for BIOS password (not registered) HDD/SSD password (not registered) TPM (disabled) and Hide TPM (no). I have looked under all the other headings (Main, Power Management, Advanced) and none mention anything about a legacy mode.

Nothing mentions legacy mode, Uefi, CSM, secure boot, fast boot ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Nope none of those are shown at all. That was the reason I was looking to try another version of the BIOS to see if they would become available. At one stage I reset the machine to Win 8 factory standard at that time the BIOS was showing UEFI status under the Security heading but since I have reloaded to WIn7 factory standard those settings no longer appear in the BIOS. At no time I have ever seen anything refer to CMS boot mode.

What OS actually shipped on this machine from the factory?

7, 8 or 10 ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Win 7 Professional 32 bit
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
However they also included boot disks for Win 8 and I have since acquired the Toshiba disks for Win 7.

Allright.. so lets boot to the windows 7 recovery disk and run these repairs.

from the command prompt, run each of these commands and hit enter

bootrec.exe /FixMbr

bootrec.exe /FixBoot

bootrec.exe /RebuildBcd

If this last command fails, and doesnt let you select or find an Operating System. Only then, run the following set of commands

bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup

c:

cd boot

attrib bcd -s -h -r

ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old

bootrec /RebuildBcd

Once complete.. let the computer try to boot.. Let me know exactly what happens!

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a 5 star rating clicked and submitted when you are satisfied.. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK. This will take a couple of hours while I run the Acronis recovery to get it back to the corrupt state before I can try this. I will get back to you and let you know the outcome. I will keep track of the various responses.

When we get to the point where we are using bootrec, and trying to rebuld t he boot files and MBR after the acronis recovery.

We probably will need to work closely together at that point, in case something goes wrong or it gives an error.

However, its entirely possible that the commands could go smoothly and the system would simply boot afterwords into windows 7 and the recovered image you had.

Whatever happens, keep me posted and if you need further help I will be online and and off over the next 8 hours or so.

Dustin S.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Reload has completed. When the computer restarted it displays a black screen and Message "MBR Error 1 Press any key to boot from floppy..." Toshiba Win 7 Recovery media is in floppy drive, press enter and get "MBR Error 2 Press any key to boot from floppy...".
Switch off computer then start again holding F12 which brings up Boot Menu. Select ODD and enter Win 7 Recovery Disk is now read and displays a screen with 2 choices "Toshiba Recovery Wizard" and "System Recovery Options".
Select System Recovery Options and get a new screen "System Recovery Options" with two choices "Use Recover Tools" and "Restore Your Computer". It also has a table showing Operating System, Partition, Location which is blank.
Selected "Use Recovery Tools". Which provides 6 choices "Startup Repair", "System Restore" , "System Image Recovery", "Windows Memory Diagnostic", "Command Prompt" and "Toshiba Recovery Wizard".
I selected Command prompt and got the Command window. I then started running your suggested commandsfrom the command prompt, run each of these commands and hit enter
CMD opened in X:\sources\recovery\Tools\
bootrec.exe /FixMbr
"Operation completed successfully."
bootrec.exe /FixBoot
"Element not found." I did not try any further instructions. I did try rebooting but with out success.
I used Dir command and looked at the folder contents. Only the Tools folder had any real content. I have attached photographs. It is now 8pm and I have to finish for today. I will look for your answer tomorrow morning.
...
bootrec.exe /RebuildBcd
bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup
c:
cd boot
attrib bcd -s -h -r
ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old
bootrec /RebuildBcd

Lets try these two steps next , when you have time.. from the command prompt

bootrec.exe /scanos

Let me know what it says, does it see an operating system? If so,

Then try this next

bootrec.exe /RebuildBcd

Let me know the results of that as well.

Dustin S.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry for the late start but I had an early meeting. I have run the test you requested
bootrec.exe /scanos
Result was:
"Successfully scanned Windows installations."
"Total identified Windows installations: 0"
"The operation completed successfully,"Let me know what it says, does it see an operating system?
I have checked all the possible disks on the system and there are only 2.
The d:\ which is the ODD with the Win 7 Recovery disk in it and x:\ which appears to be copied from the Win 7 Recovery disk and is, I presume, in core memory and not an actual physical device.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have another meeting to attend. I will be unavailable until about 2pm.

By the time you responded yesterday, I was already involved with the thanksgiving activities. Hence my delay in responding.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Dustin,
I have decided that it is not possible to recover the corrupt acronis backup without being able to run proper recovery/repair software on the reloaded laptop. As Toshiba seems unwilling/unable to help get me past the UEFI problem reading the disks on the corrupt machine I see no other alternative but having to rebuild it. I have recovered all the data files but copying the software is going to take time. However I have already spent over 2 weeks trying to recover so I think it is time to move on.
regards ***** *****

I understand Paul, and Im sorry that we couldnt achieve a better outcome.

If you have any questions or need further assistance at any point down the road, you know where to find me.

Dustin S

Dustin, Senior Technician