Laptop

Laptop Questions? Ask a Laptop Technician for Answers ASAP!

Laptop

I am looking to get a Laptop and unfortunately there are

Customer Question
alot to choose from. But...
I am looking to get a Laptop and unfortunately there are alot to choose from. But i am hoping someone can narrow it down and give me 2 or 3 options.
I am looking to get something which has Core i5 or Core i7 (even better), has long lasting battery and the battery will work just fine, can take it with me anywhere, and perhaps can get charge by USB? --
The display is not a big deal, not a fan of 4K on laptops, 1080 should be just fine. Just like the laptop to be light as much as possible, my old Asus A53e is about 5lb, and it is heavy, the screen can be 14-15 inches.
A friend of mine recommended Yoga from Lenovo, but most review are 3 or 3.5 star. I like Lenovo, HP. Kind of deciding to get Mac, but i do not like to have 13.3 inch lapotp, and i would like to connect the laptop to an external monitor sometimes.
I do use Photo shop, might work with wordpress, do some coding, excel, lots of email, and some videos (not coding videos). I also looked at mac book pro but they are above 2000, i am looking at a price range of $899-$1400, if it can be used as a tablet that is awsome but touch screen is what i like to have
Ram should be 8 or 16, with the option to upgrade. SSD is a MUST. 256 or 500 SSD hard/
Please advice?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Laptop
11/20/2016
Laptop technician: Dustin, Senior Technician replied 1 year ago
Dustin, Senior Technician

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is Dustin.
I'm sorry to hear about the issue you are having, I will do my best to help you resolve it.

Ove read over your preferences for a machine and before I make any suggestions, I have a few more questions to ask you.

You stated that you dont like 13.3" machines. Can you clarify why? Is it the weight issue?

Is it because the screens are too small, or too large?

Do you prefer a smaller or larger screen?

Also, when you say coding may I ask the program / compiler you prefer to use. That way I have an idea of the ideal resources you will need for a usage that could be one of the more resource intensive processes on your machine.

Thank you for clarifying these questions when you can.

Dustin S

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

Hi, thanks for the response

I dont like 13 inch because most of machines are not upgradable and the screen is too small, not sure if i can comnect them to a larger screen.

I have an asus a530 e which is a little bit heavy, im looking for something llight, and even smaller to carry on.

I dont have issue with 14 or 15 inch. not larger cause it will get heavy.

I use dreamweaver, photoshop sometimes and might use android studio.

The long battery life is important, atleast 9 to 10 hours. as i said i like yhe 2 in1 convertables but again anything light, fast im okay with it

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Relist: Incomplete answer.
I have not received my complete answer and i am still waiting.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Laptop technician: kanoko, Laptop Guru replied 1 year ago
kanoko
kanoko, Laptop Guru

I would be glad to help. I would recommend any of the 14"+ models on this page:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Top-10-Ultrabooks.91067.0.html

I would take the time to read the full review for each 14"+ model on that list but if you just want battery life info you can find that near the bottom of each review. The first one on that list is well regarded by most laptop enthusiasts and gets 13+ hrs of battery life during basic tasks. But you can't go wrong with anything on that list. Please let me know if have any questions about those recommendations.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

is there any reason why Mac is not in the list, any touch screen laptop you recommend?

That depends on what you intend to use the touchscreen laptop for.

Emailing and web surfing, high end gaming, garphic processing / video rendering / sound rendering software?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

http://store.hp.com/us/en/PDPStdView?catalogId=10051&urlLangId=-1&langId=-1&productId=1507151&storeId=10151

Any idea on spectre 360 from HP. i will do photoshop, and probably dreamweaver. and rest is surfing web checking email

The only issue I have with the Spectre 360, even though its a solid machine, its sporting an integrated graphics processor, thats automatically a weak point.

Now granted, it does have the newest and strongest integrated Intel® HD Graphics 620 (8GB memory)

If you were trying to render any type of image / video or audio files, Id be hesitant. But since you only mentioned Photoshop and dreamweaver, that machine should more then suffice.

If you have further questions, let me know.

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a 5 star rating clicked and submitted when you are satisfied.. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

To address your previous question about Macintosh laptops, they would be a good fit based on your requirements, but because the operating system on Apple computers is fundamentally different, I think it would be best for you to decide whether you want a Windows based or Apple based laptop first. Keep in mind that generally Apple computers run about 20-30% more expensive when compared to a WIndows based machine with similar specifications.

Also, I wouldn't be too worried about choosing a laptop with integrated graphics, in fact based on your requirements, I think a laptop with integrated graphics would be best because it will have a noticeably longer battery life, be noticebaly lighter, and won't impact the performance of the programs you want to use.

And as far as the Spectre 360 is concerned, I think it would best if you first decide whether you want a touchscreen or not. The operating system is going to be setup and behave a bit differently on a touchscreen device vs a non-touchscreen device, so I would decide which type you want first, and I can provide more examples of that type for you.

If you are looking at touchscreens because you want to use a stylus or digital pencil to draw in photoshop, you may instead actually want to consider using a seperate drawing surface and pen. They are going to be more precise than a touchscreen and most professional digital artists use them. A popular recommendation would be a Wacom tablet:

http://www.wacom.com/en-us/products/pen-tablets

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

Honestly i am not to keen on touch screen, i have also thought about getting a pen tablet, what i am looking into something that i can take with me when travel, be light, maybe 15 inch is what i had so that is my preference, but i have also checked 14 inches so they are not bad too. I would definitely need ram, and probably i can just upgrade SSD later, so i need a model which i can do that with . I checked Thinkpads, pretty descent and fast battery charge, and one other thing which i want is ability to type easily. XPS from dell is not easy to go with, when typing. SO Thinkpad, HP, and ASUS? anything i can really get and then customize, ?battery last 8-10

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

I have narrowred my search down to Lenovo T460s and thinkpad 460 yoga. here are my configurations

Core i5 2.8 ghz

Ram 8 gig for now

I would take wtither 1080 IPS screen or WQHD which i believe is better. now im not sure shall i get touch screen one or not,

The yoga 460 has that nice pen. which i might use when auditing pictures or wrtting a note. let me know your idea on battery life. and should i get core i5 or i7.

I think the only way to decide whether or not to get a touchscreen device, is to try one out. Most major electronics retailers will have touch-enabled laptops like the yoga available try out. Windows 10 behaves quite differently on a touch device so you need to test it out yourself to determine which workflow works best for you.

If you want my personal opinion, I find that touch is still best suited for mobile devices that run a mobile centric OS like iOS and Android that are designed around touch interaction with fingers. Altough Microsoft has done an excellent job of making Windows 10 very touch friendly, Microsoft still has a ways to go to make it as touch friendly as iOS or Android. Also even with a digital pen or stylus, you still won't have the same level of precision as a mouse, trackpad, or trackpoint. The Wacom tablets I mentioned will give you that digital pen interaction, but with the precision that you get from a mouse. So it's the best of both worlds. But if you realy don't want an extra piece of hardware to carry around than you may be OK with the level of precision from a digital pen on a touchscreen.

Again, I think you still need to spend some time using a touch laptop with digital pen on Windows 10 to make the decision for yourself. If you plan to use Photoshop alot, I would strongly recommend you find a way to test out that experience on a touch laptop. It's unlikely you will find an in-store laptop with that installed, but you may find that GIMP is installed which is similar to Photoshop, or even just Microsoft Paint. Tasks like choosing colors from a palette, switching tools from a small icon toolbar, and using sliders could prove to be a bit challenging with a digital pen so I would try to find a way to test out that type of interaction for yourself.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

Alright thanks for your help, my last question is between two models of lenovo 460ts and 460 yoga.

I have both core i5 and core i7 options, but its cheaper with i5 and i can go on ram high to 20 gigs. not sure if thats a good idea, or i shall get core i7 with 8 gigs now then upgrade ram later?? core i5 is 6300 but core i7 is 6600. let me know if there are big differences. or i can get core i5 with higher ram??

Based on the information you provided about how you plan to use the laptop, I think the i5 and 8GB or RAM is more then enough. To put things in persepctive, I use my laptop for music production which can be very CPU and memory intensive when working with multiple instrument tracks, and I have an i5 with 8GB of RAM and have never had any issue with slow performance or running out of memory. There are very few usage scenarios where 8GB wouldn't be enough.

kanoko
kanoko
kanoko, Laptop Guru