Dan, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  25 Years working with computer troubleshooting and networking. Comp TIA A-Plus Certified.
1567601

I have a Lenovo T-61P, type 6470-CTO which I bought new in

Hello, I have a Lenovo T-61P, type 6470-CTO which I bought new in 2008 that is stuck in sleep mode. I've powered it off, and back on, but all it will do is light the circled 'z' icon. The fan is running, and it gets warm, but the display is black, there is no response to keyboard input, and there is no hard-drive activity. Please advise.
Thanks,
Greg

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer, I look forward to assisting you today. Feel free to disregard the Premium Service Offer. That is an automated popup initiated by the web site. Does your model have a removable battery?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Okay try this for me. Power it down then remove the battery and AC power supply. Press and hold the power button for about one minute then plug it back in and power it up.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Already tried that. No change.

Try powering it up with just the AC supply and no battery.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Same results.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I will add that the lid seems to be more stiff when opening it. Could there be an issue with the switch that is actuated when raising the lid?

Have you made any changes in the BIOS or has there been any damage to it recently?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No sir. Was working fine yesterday. Closed it down, and it entered sleep mode normally but would not wake up on next attempt to use it.

Well it is possible there is damage to the micro switch that puts the computer into sleep mode when the lid is closed. If that is the case, you may need to disassemble it to locate the switch to disable it.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
That was to be my next move and looks like the only option at this point.

Do you have the manual?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I think the manual was a digital document on the hard-drive. I have no paper manual.

You may want to see if you can access the BIOS then reset it back to original settings to see if that wakes it. Give me a minute and I will send you a link for the manual.

Here is the LINK for your manual.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I can't get to the BIOS. The machine will not boot. The display remains black, and keyboard input has no effect.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks for the link.

Even after you power it off you still see nothing on the display as it is booting up?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No sir. The display never even flickers. Only activity is the cpu fan and the lighted 'z' icon.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Also, there are no beeps to indicate any hardware issues.

Humm! Well I hope this is just a switch problem and not a problem with the motherboard?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Me, too. 8^)

Just in case it is, don't forget to remove your hard drive if you decide to get rid of it.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I've looked for spare parts for a 6470 with no luck. Considered picking up a model close to mine and installing my hard-drive.

What I would do is remove the drive then install it in a portable USB case that you can plug into any computer to retrieve your files.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I hope it doesn't come to trashing it. That will be a last resort.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Yeah, I have a portable case for doing that already.

That would be a good way to go then.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Was hoping that you had a trick up your sleeve for waking it up...

Well if you can't get the display up and no keyboard response there aren't many tricks left. You could try plugging in an external keyboard to see it that responds.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I knew about the power off, remove batt and hold down the power button, but that wouldn't do the trick for this one.

Usually that will initiate a reset. That is what has me concerned this might be a motherboard issue.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thought about trying my docking station. Haven't used it in years, but it should bypass the lid switch, right

Possibly. It is worth a try!

Let me know how you come out with that.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Will give that a shot when I get home. Thanks for your help.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Will do.

Good luck!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Gotta close out and hit the road.
Thanks again

My pleasure!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Dan, FYI, the docking station idea did not work. I started breaking it down last night and found a broken hinge. Going to replace it, reassemble and give it another shot.

Sounds good. That is most likely where the problem lies. Let me know if I can assist.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Roger that. Thanks Dan

Glad to do it!