Laptop

Laptop Questions? Ask a Laptop Technician for Answers ASAP!

Laptop

I lost my apostrophe. It no longer works. When I hit it

nothing happens. Shift apostrophe does...
I lost my apostrophe. It no longer works. When I hit it nothing happens. Shift apostrophe does not work either. Windows 7 on an Acer laptop.
Thanks,
Jim
10/18/2016
Randy Computer Tech
Randy Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist

Hi Jim,

My name is***** am sorry to hear that you are having this issue.

I will be glad to assist you with this.

Try these steps please.

Try this: Open Notepad or Word on your Acer to test the following.
Hold down Shift + Ctr keys down once and then see if you're able to type the apostrophe symbol.
Toggle the swith until you get the apostrophe back.

(holding down the Shift + Ctl keys toggles the keyboard' language settings)

Let me know if this does not work and we can try another solution.

Please reply and let me know if you need any other assistance,

Also, please take a moment to rate my service by choosing one of the stars at the top then click submit.

Thank you!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This doesn't work. Saw this somewhere else on line. What does toggle the swith mean?
Jim

Shift + Ctrl changes/toggles the keyboard language settings.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That does not work. I have seen that answer on line with the same misspelling. What else do you have.
Jim
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Please give more ideas. That one doesn't work.
Jim

Try this next please.

1. Log on to your computer as an administrator.
  2. Open the Control Panel by clicking Start, and then clicking Control Panel.
  3. Click System and Security, and then clickSystem.
  4. Under the Control Panel Home menu, click System protection.

If you are prompted for an administrator password, type your password. If you are asked for confirmation, provide confirmation.

5. Click System Restore.
  6. Recommended Restore is the default choice. This restore is the most recent restore point and the best place to start.
  7. To choose a different restore point, clickChoose a different restore point, clickNext and then click a restore point.
  8. Click Next, and then click Finish to confirm your restore point.
  9. To start the restore process, click Yes.
  10. Once the system restore is complete, your computer will restart.

If the most recent restore point doesn’t resolve the issue,select the next restore point.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have tried a couple of system restores but no luck.
bbao
bbao, Senior Laptop User

What's your region and language settings please?

Are you using a US-International keyboard under US English in your language settings?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am trying system restore again. I did try to play around with the language settings with no luck.

NO! Wait.

What's the type of your physical keyboard? If it is US English keyboard, avoid having any US International settings in your keyboard. If you do have any, remove it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok system restore was already started. I will check language settings when done.
Jim

Okay.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am not sure about this but I believe I have the English settings. In the region and language tab everything says english(us). Weirdly, once when I was typing an answer today the apostrophe worked when I typed the next letter then never worked again.
Jim

FYI -

http://www.ojnetworks.com.au/2012/04/solution-keyboard-issue-apostrophe-double-quote-quotation-marks-tilde-hat-key-pressed-windows-7/

Checked the Language settings and cleaned up the input methods by removing inappropriate ones? For Windows users speaking US English in United States, only US English keyboard and the default input method are required.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok English and US keyboard. Not UK still no luck.
jim

Did you review the link above? Was it help or related to your question?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Well I understand the link but it did not make any difference.

Okay, it seems not the issue I thought and out of my range. I opt out and let more experts help you. Good luck!

Jason Jones, Computer Technician

I am the person that will be helping you today.

May I start a secure remote assistance session with you so that I can better help you resolve this problem? When the remote session begins, a chat window will appear that we can use to communicate with each other.

Please, send your reply below in the box. After you type your message, click the Send button.

Thank you,
Jason

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No remote. I need a fix by email

I offered the remote session as a favor to you since you were not able to fix it via email. I will opt out and allow another to help. Thank you & good luck.

IT Miro, Computer Scientist

Hello! My name is*****
I am a certified computer professional who will assist you.

It looks like the previous Experts are not available any more. I can continue assisting you.
Please tell me when the issue with apostrophe first started to happen? Do you remember making any changes to your computer?

I am awaiting your reply.

Thanks,

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Miro
Apostrophe gone-tried everything suggested. no luck

I am sorry for the issue. I will do my best to help you get it back.

Please check if any other key or symbol stopped working as well, or only the apostrophe is affected.

Also, see if these characters work for you: ~ "

Test in several programs such as Word, Notepad, web browser, etc

Let me know the results.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Squiggle ~~~~ always works quote never does.
Jim

OK. Please try with the On-Screen Keyboard to see if apostrophe and quote will work by clicking on the virtual keys. To start it, click on the Windows Start button and then navigate to All Programs > Accessories > Ease of Access > On-Screen Keyboard

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am back. Yes it works with virtual keyboard.
Jim

Hello again, Jim!

The reason I suggested you to check with the On-Screen Keyboard is because it uses the same keyboard layout as the physical keyboard currently selected in Windows. Because of that, I am wondering if the problem is with the actual physical key on the keyboard.

Please tell me what actually happens when you press the apostrophe key as well as Shift + apostrophe key?

Thanks,

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Absolutely nothing. At first I thought that something got under the key but I blew it out and then took off the key and pushed the sensor down and it did nothing.
Thanks,
Jim

That is not a good sign. I don't think this is a problem with Windows settings, but a problem with the actual physical key on the keyboard. The virtual On-Screen Keyboard proves it since it uses the same keyboard layout (settings) as the physical keyboard.

To further verify it, you can get an external USB keyboard and connect it to your Acer laptop. Pressing the apostrophe key should work there just fine.

So, to solve the problem you need to get the laptop keyboard repaired or replaced. As a workaround, you can use the virtual On-Screen Keyboard to type the apostrophe. You can also copy the apostrophe character and paste it whenever needed since its key is not working.

Regards,

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ouch!

I am very sorry to report it, but everything points to the problem with the actual physical key.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is that why the autocorrect can fix it but I can't. I am writing from anther computer.
Jim

Hello, Jim!

The auto-correct (spell checker) can automatically insert the apostrophe when needed, and you can also use the Insert symbol option in some programs, such as Word, and insert the apostrophe like that, but inputting it from your Acer keyboard won't work since the apostrophe key on the keyboard stopped working.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok thanks and good answer.
Jim

You're welcome!

If there is anything else I can help you with, let me know.

Before you leave, please take a moment to rate my assistance by clicking on the stars located in the upper right corner of the page.

Thanks,

IT Miro, Computer Scientist
IT Miro, Computer Scientist