Md. Sadique
Md. Sadique, Engineer
Experience:  Engineer with 7+ yrs. experience as a software troubleshooter, developer & hardware support.
22727371

Cursor running amok on my desktop..changing screen size

Customer Question

Cursor running amok on my desktop..changing screen size randomly, little dots racing across my upper screen, sometimes dime shaped pulsating orbs dance around the upper portion of the screen...very annoying. Toshiba helpdesk, not helpful at all.
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact model of your Toshiba? And what operating system are you running?
Customer: Windows 10, P55W-B5112 Satellite
JA: Have you installed any updates recently? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: updates are done automatically, virus scans showed no virus's
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Machine is 19 months old
Category: Laptop
Expert:  John replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome to justanswer. My name is***** will be assisting you today. I am sorry to hear that you are having such trouble. I will try my best to help you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Go.
Expert:  John replied 11 months ago.

Are you using the touch pad on the laptop or USB external mouse ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
touchpad
Expert:  John replied 11 months ago.

Does this happens when you are not doing anything like watching a video ?

Expert:  John replied 11 months ago.

Did you check it ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Don't know, don't watch videos on this laptop. This happens randomly. It could happen right now as I type this message. The cursor would move up the screen, then freeze, then these dime sized pulsating bubbles appear and dance across the upper portion of my screen, and the magnifier goes crazy and zooms the size of the screen view in and out, until I reboot, and it goes away. After about 20 minutes, it starts all over again.
Expert:  John replied 11 months ago.

One possibility this happens is when your palm accidentally touches touch-pad area when you type and that has the multi functions like Zoom etc so if your palm touches it accidentally this can happen ,The best method to check this is to connect a USB mouse and then disable touch pad and use the USB mouse.In this way you can make sure whether it was your palm touching the touch pad and causing it or not.

Do you have a USB mouse with you to check this ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
this is not the problem.
Expert:  John replied 11 months ago.

If its happening randomly then the above mentioned case can be the issue.Have you tried a USB mouse to check it before?

Expert:  John replied 11 months ago.

Also which antivirus scan did you ran to check for viruses?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
NO mouse. That's what I have a touchpad for. If you are going to suggest that I use a mouse, then you're not helping me resolve this. It just happened as I had the laptop sitting on a table, with no hands on the laptop at all...the screen magnified and shrank and settled down again. Norton anti virus.
Let's not beat around the bush here, either you can help me resolve this or not. I don't want to waste your time or mine. Is there a fix for this or not?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Also, please do not text me your responses.
Expert:  John replied 11 months ago.

I was not suggesting you to switch to USB mouse i suggested the above to check whether it that's all.

If this issue is happening while your hands are away from the keyboard and touch pad then the above mentioned is not the case.

We can run a virus/malware scan using another program called malwarebytes anti-malware and see if there is any threats.

Please click on this http://www.malwarebytes.org/ then click on download. Install and update it then run a Threat scan. If it finds any threats select remove all. If it asks to restart please do so.

After the restart please check it and let me know the result.

I am not sending you any text our only conversation is using this page.

Expert:  John replied 11 months ago.

You do not need to purchase malwarebytes anti-malware you can use the free version to manually run the threat scan and remove the threats.

Also see if there is any adwares in the PC which you can check it and remove using this https://toolslib.net/downloads/finish/1/ download and click on scan, once scan is finish click on clean. Then it will ask you to restart please do so.

Please do let me know the result all of this.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
scanning now
Expert:  John replied 11 months ago.

Thank you.You can also reduce the sensitivity of the touch-pad which you can do it from the touch-pad settings in mouse settings in control panel.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I've done that.
Expert:  John replied 11 months ago.

Good then let the scans finish and see if it finds any threat,if so remove it also run the adware scan too and remove the threats.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Do you really suspect a virus or malware versus a software problem is causing this?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I only ask since I've run the Norton scan , plus the Mircrosoft scan....and removed anything they've detected...
Expert:  John replied 11 months ago.

There is a possibility for it and that is why i am checking it + anti-viruses are not good in detecting malwares and adwares that is why i gave the above programs to check it.If that is also not the cause then we can try re-installing the driver for touch-pad.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ok..scan done, quarantined the junk. Don't see a separate AdWare scan....
Expert:  John replied 11 months ago.

The adware scan is given in the second link if you are not seeing i will resend it

Here it is https://toolslib.net/downloads/finish/1/

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
got it...scanning....will the malware program keep the PUP's found quarantined ? or will I have to purchase the "upgrade" to keep it maintained?
Expert:  John replied 11 months ago.

It removes the infecting kind of PUP and keep the others quarantined.you do not need to buy it now,lets see how all these goes and if its does fix it then consider purchasing.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Computer is restarting
Expert:  John replied 11 months ago.

Good and then check it and let me know the result.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ok...both scans have run, malware and adware removed. Computer seems stable for now. What if it returns? Like I said, it's random, and I may be in a time when the laptop is functioning properly. It's seems to be a problem Toshiba has not had success resolving.
Expert:  John replied 11 months ago.

Glad to know that.I suggest you keep on checking for a day and then let me know.

Note: - Please bookmark this page, use that bookmark to open this page, In case that doesn't work. Then you can get back to this page using the email send by just answer to your email address regarding this question. There is view answer option in the email click on that and you can open this page. You can also use the welcome email from justanswer to open this page too there is a check my answer option in it to open this page. That email also has you justanswer user name and password ***** login.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
will do. how do I remove and reinstall the driver for the touchpad?
Expert:  John replied 11 months ago.

For the time being do not do that lets check it for a day.

If its happening again then remove the driver from programs and features list which you can access it by right clicking on start menu.If its not listed in it then you only need to download it and install it.

There is no specific driver for the windows 10 but i believe the windows 7 version of the driver will work which you can download using this link : - http://support.toshiba.com/support/modelHome?freeText=1200009406&osId=31 i believe your PC has windows 10 64 bit,if not let me know.

Please do let me know the result after a day.

Expert:  John replied 11 months ago.

Sir its been more than a day.How are things going on regarding the cursor issue?

Sincerely,

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The laptop still goes into a wild mode where the screen has a small dot appear that starts pulsing and will magnify and change the screen. If I am on say Google news, the screen will change and open anothwr desktop ico lie a pdf file or photo or something else.
Expert:  John replied 11 months ago.

have you tried installing the touch pad driver?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I aam traveling for work now so I won't be able to do that until next week. No, I have not
Expert:  John replied 11 months ago.

Try installing it and see if that makes any changes,if not then it can be due to some contact issue on the flat ribbon cable or even a faulty cable which need to be checked in detail by opening the laptop.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok...will get back to you when I get back.
Expert:  John replied 11 months ago.

No problem.

Thank you for the update.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
sent you a video of what my laptop is doing....wrong....let me know if you got it...
Expert:  John replied 10 months ago.

Sorry to say that i didn't get the video.

Expert:  John replied 10 months ago.

Please try to do clean boot and see if the cursor still acting the same.This is a test to see if any of services/apps causing this issue.

To do clean boot please follow the below instructions
1.Click on start then type msconfig in the search
2.Select System Configuration from the search results.
3.On the Services tab of the System Configuration dialog box,click to select the Hide all Microsoft services check box, and then click Disable all.
4.Now click on the Startup tab of the System Configuration dialog box, click Open Task Manager.
5.On the Startup tab in Task Manager, for each startup item, select the item and then click Disable.
6.Now close task manager and then click on apply and OK in the system configuration window.That will ask you to restart please do and continue to use the computer and see if the cursor is still doing the same.

Let me know the result

Sincerely,

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok I will try this today. I will also try to resend that video to you so you can see how this laptop is acting.
Expert:  John replied 10 months ago.

Thank you.I will check it after you send it.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
HI John, ok...I did as you instructed and so far it seems to be working. my cursor is not jumping all over the place nor is my screen magnifying and jumping around on it's own. Like I said, so far so good. Will disabling those items in the task manager affect any functions on this computer? OR is something that is in the Microsoft Services making the cursor jump around and my screen to act like it has a mind of it's own?
Expert:  John replied 10 months ago.

This is a test to find out which non Microsoft services is causing the issue.If any of the application isn't working properly then enable that specific service and check it.

Let this test run for 24 hrs see how it goes.Let me know

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok...
Expert:  John replied 10 months ago.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
laptop worked great until 10 minutes ago. screen images were magnifying and shrinking and the cursor disappeared totally. I rebooted and am able to function now. Don't know for how much longer. could not attach the video I took because your reporting system says the video is too large, even when I cut it down. Go figure. So, now that I followed your instructions, what are the next steps? I went back into the msconfig and saw that there are a lot of Microsoft programs running still, and some disabled. What's next?
Expert:  John replied 10 months ago.

If you are facing the same issue then only 3 things left to try

1.Connect an external USB mouse for testing then disable the touch-pad and try using the USB mouse for 24 hours and see if this same issue occurs while using only the USB mouse.

2.If its still showing the same issue then mostly its a hardware issue like touch pad ribbon strip cable got faulty.

3.You can also try backing up all the data and then do a windows 10 reset which will erase the files on the OS partition and re-installs windows 10 just like a new PC.