Md. Sadique
Md. Sadique, Engineer
Experience:  Engineer with 7+ yrs. experience as a software troubleshooter, developer & hardware support.
22727371

I have a problem with my laptop. Once it drained its battery

Customer Question

Dear madam or sir,
I have a problem with my laptop. Once it drained its battery fully and I tried to start it up again, ofcourse it did not work. After coming home, I tried again and its asking for what I investigated as a bios password. It set it up on his own! Toshiba does not want to help me since the laptop is out of warranty.
Could you help me get rid of this password? the laptop is Toshiba satellite C55-A-1DC.
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Bhavik Joshi replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Bhavik. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will reply back ASAP.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Bhavik for your fast response.I will gladly get to know of it.

I can see you have tried almost everything , We have one more option to reset it that is using password ***** Did you try that ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah I have been researching for weeks, it has been really terrible. I finally was able to lend a laptop from a friend as I am a poor student who can't afford much in order to post my question here.No I have not tried that, what is the ultility about and how does it work?

Please try these :-

24Banc81

Toshiba

toshy99

press left Shiftkey

See if any of these works for you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have to write these password ***** the blue box that appears right away after starting the laptop?

Yes right try them one by one and also make a note that they are case sensitive.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have tried them all 3times atleast each, gives an invalid password *****

Try these generic password ***** see if works for you :-

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000451.htm

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
all of them?

No, Just press shift key while your PC boots in.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
okay I pressed shift key while my pc booted, it shows the same blue screen again asking for password.

Left shift key ? try once more.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Alright, I tried restarting it 10 times. tried both shift keys at once, left shift key only and then right shift key only. still the same

I think only this is the option remaining :-

http://www.biosflash.com/e/bios-cmos-reset.htm

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just read it and it said that this is not available at notebooks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I read that the password ***** be resetted by short jumping something on the motherboard, isn't this an option?

Yes, It is not advisable to reset notebooks using this method.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You mean the short jumping method?

Yes,because the password ***** not stored inside the CMOS! Other notebooks are able to store the password ***** a hidden hard disk sector. Your only chance is to contact the support of your notebook manufacturer. Depending on the manufacturer, you have to send him the serial number of the notebook and you'll get (in many cases free of charge) an individual master password ***** unlock the notebook. Some other manufacturers even offer only the replacement of the notebook's mainboard - which will be really expensive

See if this helps you :-

http://biospassword.eu/free-1/dell-free-passwords/

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I contacted the manufacturer and they are charging me for repairing the laptop. Is their no other way? I have a schematic of a laptop of a similiar or same motherboard. Would this help to find out the problem?

Not sure about that.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The passwords did not work btw.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Shall I send you the schematics and you can take a look?

Okay. No, I don't think that would be good option. Now, I think only Toshiba Support team can reset it's password.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but they refuse to help me unless I pay a big fee for it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I saw a lot of people resetting their bios password ***** their own, how come its not possible for me?

Yes, that's right but notebook and PC have different design. You can still try resting password ***** jumper and resetting CMOS but that process generally does not work with notebooks as they are designed to be more secure as they can are more prone to have physical access by someone else as compared to desktops or laptops.

How would you rate me overall service out of 5 ? Are you happy or satisfied with my work ?

I won't get paid for my efforts until you rate me.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not satisfied, I have read some other answer of another expert and he helped that person resetting his notebook by using jumpers. Here I just received information that I already knew about. Unfortunately it wasn't good.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I cannot be helped further, you can close my case.

Alright !! I knew that this is going to happen already.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know about your payment, I get the feeling that you did not put effort in solving my problem. But I will definitely get the payment back.

Okay, I am opting out so that another expert can help you in it. Best of luck !