Laptop

Laptop Questions? Ask a Laptop Technician for Answers ASAP!

Laptop

My computer has the Windows system32 iphlpapi.dll message

Customer Question
and I can't seem to...
My computer has the Windows system32 iphlpapi.dll message and I can't seem to fix it. My laptop (Lenovo Yoga) is not letting me do everything properly
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact model of your Lenovo? And what operating system are you running?
Customer: Lenovo Yoga 2
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: I did one maybe a few days ago
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Well I'm at the command prompt now. From there I don't know what to do.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Laptop
9/23/2016
Laptop technician: Byron, PC Support Tech replied 1 year ago
Byron
Byron, PC Support Tech

Hi. My name is***** you for your question and the opportunity to assist. Can you tell me which version

version of Windows is running on the laptop?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Windows 10

Thank you. Can you tell me the full text of the error message. It sounds like file corruption has occurred.

Right-click on the start menu button and select Command Prompt (Admin)

A black window will open.

Type:

sfc /scannow

press enter and when it has completed, type in

chkdsk /r

Press enter.

It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.

chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer.

Please note, while this normally only takes 10 minutes to run, it can take at times a number of hours if windows encounters many issues. If this is occurring it is critical to let this complete as it means you have corruption on the hard drive that it needs to fix. Even if it looks like the scan is not progressing, it is, please just let it run to completion. Windows will then start when it has.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Should I do that in safe mode, or no? And I will send the full message shortly.

Safe Mode is not necessary.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay. Last time it took like 20 minutes for my laptop to turn on, so I will send you the info as soon as it turns on.

If it takes 20 minutes for your laptop to turn on the problem may be much

deeper than just a single dll file. Execute the instructions posted above

as the two procedures can fix a lot of different problems.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It says "C:\\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\IPHLPAPI.DLL is either not designed to run on windows or it contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact your system adminstrstor or the software vendor for support. Error status 0xc0000006."That message popped up for my OneDrive, and it has popped up for multiple programs.

Thank you. Go ahead and run the instructions above.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I tried running the instructions but it said Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service. That's weird because I ran the first instruction yesterday and it worked, but it said that it could not fix certain issues.

OK. This is a much bigger issue.

Right-click the taskbar and open Task Manager

click More Details if you see it in the bottom left corner.

click File>>Run new task

Put a checkmark in the box to run it administratively

In the text area type: powershell and click OK.

At the powershell prompt in the blue window enter the following command:

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

and press Enter. This will attempt to repair the Windows 10 image.

Restart the computer when it finishes.

When that's done run the commands I posted earlier.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm not sure if the powercell screen scanned anything, but this came up and it says: "deployment image servicing and management tool Version: 10.0.10586.0"
That's it. It will sit for a while before you'll see activity. If you closed it please run it again.
After several minutes it will jump to 20%, then 40 and will finish.

Hi. Did the DISM run?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It says: "Error: 0x800f081f The source file could not be found. Use the source option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more information on specifying a source location, see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=243077. The DISM log file can be found at C:\Windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log"

Restart the computer such that you are looking at the login screen (but don't log in)

While holding down the Shift key click the Power icon in the lower right corner (far right)

and select Restart. Release the Shift key after about 5 seconds.

The Choose an Option page should load

click Troubleshoot

click Advanced Options

click System Restore

The computer will restart and you'll be prompted to choose your user account

and enter the password.

When System Restore starts choose a date before your were having this issue

then click Next then Finish. This will return your Windows system settings

to the way they were on the date chosen.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It says: "no restore points have been created on your computer's system drive. To create a restor point open system protection."
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Do you know what may have caused this problem?

Hi. I'm not sure what caused this. Did it start happening after a Windows update?

If it did, click the start menu button and open Settings>Update & Security

click Update History and you'll see a list of installed and failed updates.

click Uninstall Updates and you'll see what can be uninstalled (some can't)

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay. I'm doing that now. There are about 10 failed updates from two days ago.

Failed means those updates weren't installed. Look in Installed Updates for anything installed on the date

the computer started acting up.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There is nothing from that day, but my computer started acting up about 2 or 3 days ago.

Is the laptop a Yoga 2 Pro 13in. or the 11 in. model ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
11 inch model

Thanks. We're going to try this a little differently.

The Choose an Option page should load

click Troubleshoot

click Advanced Options

click Command Prompt, restart and select your account and enter your password.

At the prompt screen type: C: and press Enter

at the new prompt type: cd\windows\system32 and press Enter

At the system32 prompt type: sfc /scannow and press Enter.

Hopefully the scan will now run and if all goes well, correct the iphlpapi.dll file

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hey, I have not been home yet to do the final process, but as soon as I am, I'll get that done. I will have an answer on how it goes by tomorrow.

Certainly. Thank you for the update.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have done the steps and this came up: "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation."I'm sorry this is so difficult. I seriously have no idea what happened to my laptop.

Thanks. I can only imagine myself what happened. None of your repair tools are working

so the last option at this point would be to do a reset of the computer which would re-install

Windows 10. Since the computer works, to a limited extent. are you able to copy off

to external storage any files you need to keep or are they already backed up?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will try to reset the system today. It has taken me a while to answer back because of work. I barely have time to wipe me *** haha. I'll let you know how the update goes.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I mean the reset. Not the update.

Thank you.

OK. Start the laptop such that you are looking at the login screen (but don't log in yet)

and select Restart.

Release the Shift key 5 seconds after clicking restart.

When the Choose an Option page loads, click Troubleshoot.

click Reset this PC

click Remove Everything

click Fully clean the drive

If asked, install to the partition where Windows is installed.

It should take from 1 to 2 hours for it to complete.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
At this point, my laptop is not even turning on. I tried giving it a day or two to see if it would come back on, but nothing so far. If this continues, I may have to take it to a tehnician. By today I will tell you how it goes.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Byron, my laptop finally turned on yesterday. I started running the reset last night. I left it on overnight, but it stayed stuck at 17%
what should I do now?

It sounds like these problems are coming from a hard drive that may be failing. On another computer you can create

a USB flash drive Windows***** Go here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/

and click Download Tool Now. When the media creation tool starts select "Create installation media for another PC"

and click Next. Verify that the version it shows to be downloaded is the same as that on the laptop and click Next.

Select USB flash drive (have your flash drive plugged in to the computer) and click Next.

Your flash drive should be automatically detected. Click Next

Windows 10 will start downloaded and the flash drive will be prepared.

Once that's finished the drive is plugged in to the laptop and booted from to install Windows 10.

Byron
Byron
Byron, PC Support Tech