Laptop

Laptop Questions? Ask a Laptop Technician for Answers ASAP!

Laptop

My Lenovo Ideapad 100 suddenly wont boot. I get a message

Customer Question
"Default boot Device missing or...
My Lenovo Ideapad 100 suddenly wont boot. I get a message "Default boot Device missing or boot failed" and then it takes me to boot manager to select EFI PXE network but that doesnt help either. Is there a way i can fix this?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Laptop
8/6/2016
Laptop technician: IT Miro, Computer Scientist replied 1 year ago
IT Miro, Computer Scientist

Hello! My name is*****
I am a certified computer professional who will assist you with the problem you described.

It seems that your Lenovo Ideapad 100 computer can no longer detect the hard disk for some reason; therefore, cannot boot to Windows. The hard disk might have failed or it could have been disconnected.

I suggest entering the BIOS and checking if the hard disk is detected there. To do that, follow these instructions:

1. Completely power off your Lenovo Ideapad 100 computer by pressing and holding down the power button for about 5 seconds

2. Once it has been powered off, wait for 10 seconds and then power it back on by pressing the power button

3. Immediately after pressing the power button, press and hold down the Fn key on the keyboard (located in the bottom left corner) and keep pressing the F1 key

4. It should then take you to the blue BIOS screen. You can then release the keys

In the BIOS screen, under the Information tab, check what it says for Hard Disk.

Let me know what you see.

Thanks,

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks Miro. Ive followed your instructions exactly but itis not taking me to any type of blue screen with an information tab. It's just doing the same thing as before - a black scrèn with a big blue box that says "Default Boot Device Missing or Boot Failed. Insert Recovery Media and Hit any Key. Then select 'boot manager' to choose a new boot device or to boot recovery media"

In case Fn + F1 key combination didn't work, please try with the Fn + F2 key combination instead.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks. That worked. For "Hard disk" it says "not detected"

OK, the BIOS hardware detection only confirmed that the hard disk is not detected. Unfortunately, this usually means it is a hardware failure with the hard disk and it needs to be replaced; however, in some cases, you only need to disconnect the hard disk and reconnect it back.

To get to the hard disk, you need to unscrew several screws on the bottom and remove the bottom cover. You will then see the hard disk and other computer components. If you are comfortable doing that, you can give it a try and see if reconnecting the hard disk will help.

You can watch this video to see how to get to the hard disk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kbhez1C3nec

However, if you are not comfortable doing that, then you can take the laptop to a computer repair shop. If the laptop is still under warranty, you can contact the Lenovo support or a Lenovo authorized service centre and report the problem. They will replace the hard disk for you, but the data stored on the current hard disk is, unfortunately, lost. I am sorry to report the bad news.

If you have further questions, let me know.

Regards,

Hello again!

I am following up with you to see if you require further assistance. Let me know by sending me a reply below.

If you don't require further assistance, please take a moment to rate my assistance by clicking on the stars located in the upper right corner of the page.

Thanks,

Hello again!

Several days have passed since we last communicated, and you haven't replied to my last message, so I am wondering if you still require assistance with the hard disk issue.

Let me know by sending me a reply below.

Thanks,

Hello!

Let me know if you were able to receive my messages.

IT Miro, Computer Scientist