Charles A. Roberts
Charles A. Roberts, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Laptop repair specialist
46034742

Aspire 5745DG-3855 fine one minute the next screen is black

Customer Question

Aspire 5745DG-3855 fine one minute the next screen is black light comes on that's all nothing else on. Have removed battery and power to try reboot still nothing.
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Charles A. Roberts replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is***** am sorry you have encountered this kind of problem. Just to verify did you remove the battery and the power cord and then plug it back in with the battery still removed and you are still getting nothing on the screen just black?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That would be correct.

OK and when you shut the machine completely off and turn the machine on does it give the Acer logo at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No nothing at all.

This means it could be two things, either the memory has malfunctioned or the motherboard is malfunctioning. Do you know how or are you able to get access to the computer memory on the bottom of the machine?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Take the back off. Give me a few.

Sure no problem

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay it's off

Ok locate the memory cards they are rectangular in shape usually with black chips on them. remove them once located if there is only one remove it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There are 2 and both are out

OK while they are out if you can plug the machine back in and tell me if the machine does the same thing please do so,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No response. Still black..

Ok now this time only put one of the memory cards back in and power on and tell me what it does.

So far I can say its not the built in monitor or any components related to video causing this problem and so far I know it's not a hard drive related issue or a power problem. So far the problem s pointing out to either memory or motherboard. What we are doing is trying to reseat the memory so check for a bad connection.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I put one back in and nothing.

OK remove that one and put the other in. If you still get the same response it would mean you are experiencing a motherboard malfunction. It's possible but rare if both memory cards would be bad.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well nothing with the other one must be the mother board.

Sadly it looks like that is the case, you would have to have the motherboard replaced or the machine would need to be replaced. I am so sorry,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No prob. It is about 7 years old. It is time thanks for your help.

You are welcome and please don't forget to leave positive feedback for my time and information it's how we are compensated for our time and information.