Md. Sadique
Md. Sadique, Engineer
Experience:  Engineer with 7+ yrs. experience as a software troubleshooter, developer & hardware support.
22727371

I have a DELL Inspiron 3847 Desktop that will not let me

Customer Question

I have a DELL Inspiron 3847 Desktop that will not let me clone the hard drive. Is there something in the configuration that DELL has included to prevent cloning? If so is there a way around it?
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Hi George,

Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.

You mentioned that you cannot clone the HDD of your Inspiron. Can you please tell me what exactly is the error message that you are getting when cloning fails?

Or are you saying that the cloning process is successful but then disk is not working when used in another computer?

Please let me know so that I can assist you further.

Best regards,

Jess

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm saying the cloning doesn't even start. The program shows me the destination disk as the only selection of a source. The next step should show the me the destination disk, but I can't get there because it won't show the proper source disk.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This machine is a desktop not a laptop. Are you sure you are the correct tech to be on this problem?
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

George,

Sorry for the late reply. The notification of you replying my posts was a bit delayed. Yes, I can assist you with this problem.

Before we can analyze and troubleshoot the problem further, please tell me the following:

1. Your SOURCE disk should be the main HDD of the desktop. So, what is your destination HDD? Is it an external HDD connected through a USB cable? Or is it an internal HDD installed in the drive bay inside the computer case?
  2. If it is an internal HDD, is the drive detected in the BIOS level? Is it detected and shown in Explorer inside your Windows computer?

Best regards,

Jess