Dustin, Senior Technician
Experience:  15 Years saving Laptops from the recyling bin! Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

My 2008 HP G50-108NR Notebook PC that I use for

Customer Question

My 2008 HP G50-108NR Notebook PC that I use for business still has Windows 8 on it and yesterday while booting it just went to a black screen and posts "No bootable device-insert boot disk and press any key". I previously had all data backed up a few months ago but need new information from desktop that I havn't saved elsewhere yet.
I've tried a few YouTube videos on this as in Removing mother board for 15 seconds, reinstall and reboot..but no go..
I do notice on start up that the laptop is making odd noises that I never heard before...can you help in troubleshooting to get this repaired so I can get my info off the desktop quick? Appreciate it ...Mick
Category: Laptop
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also note that the motherboard was EXTREMELY hot when I removed it....I just tried to reboot and it seems very hot like it's not being cooled properly...hope this helps
Expert:  Donovan Fontenot replied 1 year ago.
If your system fan isn't working properly the overheating could be the cause of your problem.The no bootable devices error is produced when there is no hard drive, a blank hard drive, or a faulted hard drive.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, so what suggestions do you have to help me repair this to get my valuable business info from it?
If you have a boot disk it is possible to run a system repair from the disk without loosing your files.If you have an external hard drive mount. (These usually connect via USB and the hard drive connects the same as in the laptop) You could connect the hard drive to a functional computer and search the C: drive for the needed files.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't locate the boot disk and I do have an external hard drive. It sounds to me like you're telling me that if I save info, pics, etc. to my desktop that they're not actually saved on the desktop but instead the C drive of the exernal hard drive? Can't info. actually be saved to the desktop or does it always go to the hard drive? Thanks and appreciate your assistance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
First off, I do not know what files I may be missing to search for them.. I need to view my desktop to remind me of all that is there...also, why would the info be on an external hard drive unless I purposely saved it there?
The information stored to your computer is on the hard drive inside your laptop. I do apologize for the confusion. I was suggesting that you remove the hard drive from the computer and connect to another computer via external hard drive connector. If you are located near a Best Buy the Geek Squad may be able to run data recovery on your machine and recover your files.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I understand now and how do I know the motherboard isn't fried already?
If your computer is giving you the no bootable device error, that shows that the BIOS is running properly. The motherboard should still be good.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, so can you walk me through a test to see if I can reboot it properly?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, to clarify, example: when I save a picture to my desktop...is it anywhere else on the pc ? Is the desktop just a shortcut to the C drive or how does that work?
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** i will do my best to assist you. It seems the other expert has opted out. In my opinion, we have two points of focus here. 1. repairing the computer. 2. Not damaging your hard drive ( as the hard drive is where your data is stored ) Here is the issue that we need to address first. Heat, is the number 1 killer of electronics.. I could help you try and repair the machine and get it to boot, but theres a high possibility that the heat your machine is putting off could fry your motherboard and the hard drive in the process. If you have critical business data on that hard drive, you dont want to turn that machine on anymore.. Please clarify whats more important to you above, before we discuss any further options. Dustin S.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dustin....well, we've tried many times to reboot it with the same message every time. I even removed the motherboard as instructed, waited awhile, and reinstalled it but to no avail. How do I know the motherboard isn't fried now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes, I want to preserve the hard drive but know that all I really need is the info stored on the desktop...
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Understood.. If the info on your desktop is critical, then lets not keep powering up an overheating machine. As you risk damaging the hard drive and the data contained inside. If you have another computer, then what we need to do is remove the internal hard drive, and then connect the external hard drive to another computers USB port, so we can access it like you would a USB flash drive or USB memory stick. To do that, you need an inexpensive cable set.. http://amzn.to/22Vab6D While it looks like a mess of cables, I can explain to you how to use it once you get it. This will allow us to connect your internal harddrive in the non working machine, to a usb port on another computer. That way we can copy and paste all your needed files from the hard drive, onto the new computer. At that point, once you have the data you need saved.. We can then try repairing your non working machine. if you have further questions, let me know. Dustin S.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dustin,I removed the hard drive and ordered the kit as suggested. I will contact you when it arrives. Appreciate all of your expert help. Have a great weekend...
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, I will be out of action till monday~ But will look for your replies from then onwards. Dustin S.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Howdy Dustin,The cable package arrived today and my old hard drive is here ....is it an easy process to check the hard drive? Thanks
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Nothing is easy the first time around, but it is doable.. The first goal, is connecting the cables correctly.. Two of the cables should connect to the electrical connectors on the hard drive, one for data and one for power. And the other end should connect to a usb port on your working computer.. Lets try to get the cables connected correctly to the old hard drive first ( before you plug it into the usb port on the working computer ) When youve made it that far, or if you get stuck, send me a message~ Dustin S.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh, sorry I didn't realize the time..I'll have to return soon..thanks but I checked the cables quickly and only one small one fits thus far....thanks
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Two cables should connect to the hard drive itself.. Youll notice they are offset just a bit. If you look at this picture http://www.legitreviews.com/images/reviews/1682/Scorpio-Blue-SATA.jpg Notice how the copper connectors are separated into two distinct sections.. y our hard drive will match that~
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dustin,
Ok, see attached pics....this is what I received and this is my hard drive. Please advise..Thanks,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So, what did you think of the pics I sent and do they make sense? Thanks
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
My apologies for the delay in getting back to you, Ive been away from work for the last several days. Did you still need help with this issue? If so, the basic rundown is this, the only piece with a usb cord on one end, the other end will connect to the left two data sections on the hard drive.. then the red cable connects to the power cord, and then connects to the 4 pin connector on the right side of the hard drive.. this supplies it with power. Heres a video that shows how to connect it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNIeCOpIAbA
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Dustin,Glad you're back! I just hooked it up to the pc but need further instructions from here...thanks
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Ok, If you have it connected to another pc. If you open windows file explorer, where it shows your C drive and connected cd drives and usb drives. Do you see a new drive listed on the other computer now? If so, if you open that drive on screen it will be showing all your old files , documents, etc
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi,
here's a pic of my connection... the other end is already plugged into a usb port
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does everything looked connected properly?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's not showing another drive connected
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I disconnect it an reconnect it, I can hear the hard drive and the best I can describe it is it sounds like a low volume british police car siren..haha...for about 10 seconds then stops...but no drive shows
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Now I'm getting "Please wait while setup installs necessary files on you system. This may take several minutes" Is this ok or normal>>?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's still installing something ..I'll be back in a bit to check for your suggestions...thanks
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Apologies for the delay. Im in the middle of another session now, and havent finished that up yet.. Which is what is causing the delay in getting back to you. It doesnt seem to be connected properly.. The large grey end needs to be connected to your hard drive.. directly.. If you can wait a bit when I finish up with this session, I can give you my undivided attention. Also, watching the video again should help show the proper way to connect it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm back when you are....I'll watch the video again ...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I watched the video and the USA 2.0 to SATA/IDE Cable set I have it hooked up as shown at the beginning of the video...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The cable will not hook directly to the hard drive...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
and fyi, the hard drive is making the same noise, as explained a few sentences back, as it did when in the laptop...very strange...so question, if the hard drive were bad would a new drive still pop up?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll have to come back later sometime if I get a chance...
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
The video is a bit confusing, and shows multiple ways and an incorrect way to connect the drive.. If you watch from about 1:30 to 1:50 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNIeCOpIAbA That grey box with the usb end, should connect directly to the hard drive like it shows them connecting the red 3 way box..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It will not connect directly the way you describe. The ONLY way it connects is the way they showed it at the intro of the video.
See attached pictures of the cable kit I purchased and also notice there's not "pins" in the hard drive but the "gray box" would need a male pin.. please advise
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Is there by chance a small grey connector plastic piece, still stuck inside your computer where you removed the hard drive? If not, then you probably did have it connected as it should be. Maybe sometime today when you are near the computer, I can connect and see if I can get the drive to be recognized so we can pull data from it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
See pics of the inside. Is this the plastic piece you're referring to? If so, how do I disconnect it? I tried to pull out and/or up on it but doesn't come out easily and do no want to damage it if it's not supposed to release. Please advise.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Sometimes that piece slides straight out, other times it doesnt. MOst likely, the first way you had it connected is the only way it can connect. As long as you had the data ports and power ports connected , with the data ports going to the pc. It should have been fine. Id still like to connect to the pc, while the drive is connected so I can try and get it visible and working, if that would be possible.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It seems we've run out of options other than you connecting from there but as I stated a week ago, that's not an option for me.
Nothing personal, but I never let anyone connect directly to my business. Anyone that does, is asking for trouble sometime from someone.
I guess I'll look for other options locally. Thanks anyway...
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
When you have the drive connected, it may just need to have its drive letter changed before you can access it. Imagine if you current drive is a C: drive and the old drive was also a C drive. To try and check and change the drive letter yourself see this article. http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-change-drive-letter-in-windows-8-1/ Identify how many disks you have listed, and then try to figure out which one is the usb connected internal drive. Once you have figured it out, give it a new drive letter. And then see if you can read it as you would any other USB drive.