Laptop

Laptop Questions? Ask a Laptop Technician for Answers ASAP!

Laptop

HelloI recently had my computer worked on and the tech wiped

Customer Question
Hello I recently had my computer...
Hello
I recently had my computer worked on and the tech wiped my HD and installed windows 7.
I have a toshiba tecra R950-pt531u. I cannot find my model in the list of models for the R950 series.
Since the install of Windows 7 I cannot use the function key for adjusting brightness, audio level, or connect a external monitor.
I have looked on the website for drivers for the FN key, all the drivers for all models Tecra R950 seem to be identical, but just in case I downloaded all of them for every model but I still cannot get the FN key to work.
Is there some other Link that is not included for my model that you can provide me??
Or is this some other problem that could be causing this?
Kind regards
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Laptop
4/20/2016
Laptop technician: Viet - Laptop Tech, Computer Support Specialist replied 1 year ago
Viet - Laptop Tech
Viet - Laptop Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Hi,I'm sorry about the issue. What drivers / software did you download / install?Can you check at the back / bottom of the laptop for any other model, such as R950-SMBG1X, or PT531U-035038, etc.?Can we do a remote support session, so I can troubleshoot the issue directly on your computer together with you?Please reply at the box below. Thank you,
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
from the toshiba website, the Toshiba function key software. as well as any display driver for most of the Tecra R950 series.
The model of my computer is Tecra R950, there is no other descripter after that number. However the Part Number located below it is PT531U-04S038.
This model number is ***** listed in any link on the toshiba support page for the R950 series.
I am on a different computer during this chat session so I would need to switch computers for a remote session.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
what I did notice on the toshiba website was that all models of the R950 use the exact same "function Key" software, the file size and version is identical on all models even though I cannot locate my particular model number in the list to select from.
Have you also tried installing the TVAP (Toshiba Value Added Package) software?Please let me know. Thank you.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
sorry but again I am using a different computer for this chat session not the one with the problem. let me try the suggested software install and I'll let you know if it fixes the problem. Give me a moment, please.
Sorry, if you'd like to, you can go to your email on the problematic computer to communicate with me on the problematic computer, then I can connect remotely to it and fix directly for you. Otherwise, you can try my suggestion, then let me know. Thank you.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the TVAP software only seems to be for Vista 64 or 32 bit machines, no software download available for Windows 7...
Please use the website link below:http://support.toshiba.com/support/modelHome?freeText=3478509, there it has the TVAP for Windows 7 / Windows 7 (64-bit)Please let me know. Thank you.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
found it on a different page, one minute please
OK, please take your time. Thank you,
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
oh well, i get a setup error when installing the TVAP software, 0x80c70220
so i guess that's not going to work
Restart the computer, and try again please. Try both the Toshiba Value Added Package (64bit) and the regular Toshiba Value Added Package as needed. Thank you.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok I'll try that and get back to you, but it will take a bout 1/2 hour cause I have to attend to some other business right now.
No problem; please take your time. You can get back to me whenever you are available. Thank you.
When you are available, please type at the box below, then click on the Send button below to communicate with me, so I can help further. Thank you.
Viet - Laptop Tech
Viet - Laptop Tech