Laptop

Laptop Questions? Ask a Laptop Technician for Answers ASAP!

Laptop

My 5740 laptop has a dark screen how do I fix that. I can use

Customer Question
an external screen with problem...
My 5740 laptop has a dark screen how do I fix that. I can use an external screen with problem. I can see the picture in the background if I shine a light on the screen. I tried flashing the bios, reverting to my original win7 os .I tried replacing the screen still the same condition, picture in the background, DARK SCREEN. Can you help?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Laptop
4/17/2016
Laptop technician: Russell H., Computer Support Specialist replied 1 year ago
Russell H., Computer Support Specialist
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. I have had a case like that. I dealt with it, ultimately, by removing the dimmer switch, that activates when the lid is closed (by switching Off the backlight.) The backlight in my case was not burned out, you see, the switch was sticking, so it was always 'thinking' that the cover was down, and thus dimming the backlight down to 0. I don't know what you mean by 'tried replacing the screen'... do you mean you replaced the LCD unit? I'm sorry to hear that if so, because it is evidently a backlight (or possibly backlight-switching) problem.Try going into the Power Options, and disabling the 'close screen' options, so that closing the screen does nothing. That might possibly, doubtfully, help - if the problem is that the switch is telling the computer the cover is down. (Choose what closing the lid does, if you see such a link at the left in your Power Options, is the link to click on.)
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok Russel I set the option to Do Nothing when the Lid closes, same condition exist .I kept my old screen when found out that the same condition existed after replacing it.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I would check the switch but I cant find it I don't know where it is located
Likely it is in the hinges... but what is the maker name (HP, Lenovo, Dell, etc.) of your laptop? it varies from maker to maker.
Russell H., Computer Support Specialist