Md. Sadique
Md. Sadique, Engineer
Experience:  Engineer with 7+ yrs. experience as a software troubleshooter, developer & hardware support.
22727371

I recently bought a gateway laptop from a friend of mine

Customer Question

Hello I recently bought a gateway laptop from a friend of mine & he explained to me that something got deleted from the laptop & now it won't load to Windows 7 at all what can I do to fix the problem? He mentioned that I had to get a recovery disk to fix the problem is that correct or is there something I could do to fix the problem without having to spend more money?
Category: Laptop
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Secure Remote Assistance. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
Hi. My name is***** you for your question and the opportunity to assist.Can you tell me what happens onscreen when you turn on the laptop?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes it goes to the screen where u have an option to press f2 or f12 to change settings if u want push nothing the it seems like its gonna go to the Windows 7 page but it don't an error window pops up & says that there was an error file not found please reinstall Windows 7 again
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
& when I push ok the laptop will restart again
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
OK. If the laptop originally came with Windows 7 there should be a recovery partition.Hold down the power button to shut it down (4- 5 seconds)Turn it on and while the Gateway logo is still onscreen, hold down the Alt and F10 keys.If there is a valid recovery partition it should launch.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok let me see if that happens
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
Certainly.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It didn't work
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
See if you can get it to start in Safe Mode.Turn it off.Turn it on and start tapping the F8 key.If it works a black Advanced Boot Menu screen will come up.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nope that didn't work either
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
OK. Then you'll need recovery media. Is there a label on the bottom that shows an 11 or 12 character SNID number ora 22 digit serial number?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
***********
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
SNID #
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is that the right 1?
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
Yes.Thank you. That number is ***** This page is for Acer, Gateway and eMachine computers(Acer owns all three)http://us-store.acer.com/erecovery/rcd/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok so what do i do now?
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
Type in the SNID number and click Submit.You'll see a little lower down on the page the mediais available and you can order it.
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
There's one more thing you need to check. Turn on the laptop and start tappingthe F2 key to enter the BIOS.On the MAIN screen, look for an entry called "F12 boot menu"It needs to be showing as Enabled in order for the laptopto be able to boot from a DVD.