Tim
Tim, Sr. Engineer
Experience:  Sr. Systems and Network Engineer
75378780

I'm unable to get past the log in screen on my lenovo yoga 2

Customer Question

Hello - I'm unable to get past the log in screen on my lenovo yoga 2 pro and my novo button will not work. The machine will get me to the log in screen and then will show my screen saver but can't get beyond that. Any suggestions?
Category: Laptop
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just as a side note, without thinking - I just accepted my iPhone's update, so, I'll not be available until the update is completed. I'm sorry!
Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, I'm Tim and will be assisting you today. I have over 15 Years as an Engineer and have been with eBay, DoD and many others. I will do my VERY BEST to help you. If you like i can offer remote access and a call. In addition, with any positive rating I will support your question going forward for free.

Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

Have you tried letting the battery run down to dead, leaving it unplugged and then plugging it back in once its lost all power so it does a full reboot?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did do that. It had been ran down for several days and then I plugged in the charger today and the symptoms I mentioned are what I had when i booted it up. It didn't seem to do a full "reboot", it looked like it was just "waking" up from benign out to sleep.This is my son's laptop and he mentioned that he had been leaving the matching plugged in for extended periods of time despite the battery being charged. I'm not sure if that could have caused the problem or not. Didn't seem like it would - but, wanted to make sure you were aware.Also, I am aware that prior to this happening, he upgraded to Windows 10 and said that he had problems such as his audio no longer working with the laptop.
Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

being plugged in, is not a problem. Windows 10 has been terrible for many folks, causing major problems. How long prior to this problem did he upgrade to windows 10? ANd is the battery external? As in, can you take the battery out of the back.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's been a while (upgraded as soon as it was available) since he upgraded to Windows 10. As for the battery, no, it is not a removable battery.
Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

Ok, lets try something. Please reboot, and as it is booting up key striking the f8 key while it is booting, select safe mode. Booting into it, and once you get to your desktop, reboot again.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unable to do anything. When I turned it on, it started up, but, not a usual boot process. It just takes me to the user longin prompt. It's like it isn't actuall restarting - as I said before - as if it's just "waking" up.
Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

Odd, your best choice is to leave it ON and unplugged until it is 100% dead, since there is no battery to get to, there is no other choice. Make sense?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can't+alt+del doesn't even work. Can you tell me how to create a bootable USB file?Or is there some way to override the system??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry - I hadn't seen your last message before I sent another. I'll let the battery drain and try that. Thank you.
Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

a bootable USB will do you no good when it is in this state, and you would need this system to make a bootable USB. It needs to lose 100% power before you move on.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Got it. Thank you!
Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

No problem, Let me know how it works out, if that does not do it, we can try other avenues. Please take time to rate my service in the upper right hand corner, as with all my positive ratings I give free support on the same issue going forward.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just figured it out!!! In order to do a "hard boot", you have to press the power key AND the volume up (+) key at the same time while powering it up. Then you release the power key while holding down the volume key to get the restore options...
Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

right, restore option, you don't want to restore it, you will lose everything. Did you give it a chance to fully power off?