Dan, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  25 Years working with computer troubleshooting and networking. Comp TIA A-Plus Certified.
1567601

My Toshiba Satellite s75 has a blue screen after start up.

Customer Question

My Toshiba Satellite s75 has a blue screen after start up. it is dead with blue. Any suggerstion?
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for your question, I look forward to assisting you today. Have you installed any new software or updates recently, and how old is it please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. I am reading a online article and suddenly the mouse cursor stopped and the whole thing frozen. I turn the power off and back on after a few minutes. It then display a blue screen.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

No other indications of problems prior to this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The screen frozen happened several times before. I restarted it and it was OK. But this time it behave differently.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not know how you can remote. The machine is like dead.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Okay. I can give you instructions to try to restore it but that will most likely wipe your data and take you back to a like new state.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
IS that the only. DO I have any otions?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

What version of Windows are you running?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Windows 8
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Try restarting then hold the Shift button and press the F8 key, this will sometimes boot you into the new advanced “recovery mode”, where you can choose to see advanced repair options. Let me know if you make it that far.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tried hold down Shift and F8 key. It still give me the blue screen.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Just a blue screen with no error messages?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No error message.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I come cross to a start up option screen while press F2. But it not much help. It give me option of start from hard drive, USB or CD.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Well this could be anything from a problem with one of the RAM modules to the mother board or possibly even the hard drive failing. Do you have a backup of your important data?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Most of my data is backup, but not quite up to date.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All my data is on E drive. If just reformat C: drive, I will be OK.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Well that's a start! You can try removing the RAM one by one to see if you can boot with one module or the other. That would tell which one, if any might be bad. The only other option other than what I gave you earlier, would be to sent it to Toshiba and have them check it out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you think you can remote connect? But since the system is not up to access network connection, I do not see how we can do it.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Not a chance! It would be like knocking on the door of a vacant house... nobody home!

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

I can give you instructions to try to restore it, but if there is a hardware problem it probably won't do any good, not to mention deleting your data.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Still with me?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Restore it means to get it back to factory setup?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Yes provided you don't have a major hardware failure to prevent the process.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Let's assume it is not a hardware problem. What could be the most optimistic or pessimistic outcome?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

If the blue screen is by chance caused by an operating system crash, you will be back up and running but it will be like the first day out of the box. If it's a hardware failure, it won't make any difference since you most likely will be beyond recovery anyway.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do you think Toshiba support can do a thing better?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Possibly, but you will most likely need to send it to them to evaluate. How old is your laptop?

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Would like instructions to try to do a restore?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Let me try some other things first.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

No problem. Let me know how you come out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I got it solved. Able to do a system restore.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Glad to hear it. I thought possibly that might do it. It was a pleasure working with you!