Laptop

Laptop Questions? Ask a Laptop Technician for Answers ASAP!

Laptop

What test can i do to check if my laptop wifi is working

Customer Question
properly?...
What test can i do to check if my laptop wifi is working properly?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Laptop
3/17/2016
Laptop technician: Dan, Computer Support Specialist replied 1 year ago
Dan, Computer Support Specialist

Hello and thank you for your question, I look forward to assisting you today. Are you having some problem that might make you think it isn't working or is working intermittently?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The connection fluctuates at times. But I have a stable connection whenever it is wired.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Havent experienced it in my other laptops just this new one.

Okay. Have you checked any of the online speed test utilities like speedtest.net?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
checked using speedtest.net and connection is stable in my other devices.
Things done:
1. Checked connection using Laptop 1 - wifi connection is okay doesnt fluctuate
2. Checked connection using iphone - wifi connection is okay doesnt fluctuate
3. Checked connection using Laptop 2 (this laptop is new with wifi issues) - losses connection at times, speedtest usually gives me a long ping like 233ms and dl speed of 0.05Already did the test I just want to know how can I test the laptop itself if the wi-fi adapter in my new laptop is defective. Is there an app or where can I go to check.
Went to the device manager and if something is up i know like there used to be an exclamation point yellow rectangle box there that prompts that something is wrong with one item in my laptop. But I havent seen any.

Try NetStumbler first. This utility will scan the entire WiFi network around you and will help you determine if there is some interference preventing your new laptop from running at top speed. Did you set this up your self?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok i will try this later and will let u know how it goes. Yeah i did.

I presume you have your computer set to acquire an IP address automatically? You can also try toggling your wireless connection on and off to see if that will get you a better signal.

Another thing you can try is restarting your router. That will sometimes clear up WiFi congestion problems.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yeah i guess it was set up that way i dont know how to set it up manually.

Just as well. I would rather you have it that way for simplicity anyway. Do you know how to check your WiFi card to see if it is transmitting at full power?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I dont know how to do that

Okay, it might be easier if we can agree on a time when I can remote in and check it for you? I am in the central time zone if that helps. Let me know please.

Dan, Computer Support Specialist