Richard, Laptop Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 year experience in Computers, Mobile devices and Networks
32989067

TOSHIBA SATELLITE I am trying to assist a widow in our

Customer Question

TOSHIBA SATELLITE
I am trying to assist a widow in our congregation. Someone convinced her to install windows 10 and now she just has a blank screen. I can here the motor running. I tried the USB recovery disk but it will not recognize it.
Also tried holding zero key down while powering up.
If you have any suggestions please let me know
Category: Laptop
Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. My name is*****'m a certified computer professional with 15 years of experience. It would be my pleasure to assist you with this. When you held the 0 key down, did you hold it as it was booting for up to a minute?

Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 year ago.

Here are complete instructions for doing a factory reset on a Toshiba

 Hold the '0' (zero) key as you start the computer until you reach a blue screen that says Choose an option.
 Choose Troubleshoot.
 Choose Reset your PC.
 Here you'll see multiple options that can vary depending on whether you upgraded from Windows 8 or bought al laptop that came with Windows 10. Keep my files will allow you to keep your documents. Remove everything will remove your documents and uninstall all programs, including those pre-installed by Toshiba. If you choose to remove everything, you might be given the choice of resetting all drives and partitions or resetting only the one on which Windows is installed. You may also see Reset factory settings, which resets the computer to the way it was when you bought it. Not everyone will see this selection.
 Choose the options you prefer and follow the prompts to complete the reset.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well, I did hold it down for a long time but guess I will try full minute
did take out the battery and am just using power cord. just grabbing at straws here
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Toshiba satellite Model L645-S4102
complete power off. no battery no a/c
plugged in a/c power, held zero key while tapping on button. held zero key down for 3 minutes. still no activity as to trying to read recovery usb or anything but a blank screen
am I supposed to hold power button down while holding zero key down?
Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 year ago.

This may sound strange, but when you remove the battery and the power cord, press and hold the power button for at least 30 seconds. This will discharge any residual power in the laptop.

Then power on the laptop, and hold the 0 button down (no need to hold the power button down).

If that still does not work. please try the following steps to use the usb system recovery drive.

1. Press and hold down the F12 key while turning on the laptop.

2.. Boot menu will popup on the screen then select Enter Setup

3. Go to security > Set secure boot to disable.

4. Press Esc key to access the main page.

5. Go to Advanced > locate system configuration at the bottom of the list then highlight system configuration then press enter key > highlight boot mode then set to UEFI boot

6. Press Esc key to access the main page.

7. Goto Boot > set to USB

8. Press F10 to exit and save the changes.

Note: Before you press F10, make sure the usb drive is installed into one of the available usb ports. After you press F10 the machine will reboot, booting from the usb drive. Follow the prompts on the screen to re-install the original OS. When the reinstall has completed and th emachine is rebooting, repeat steps 1-8, but choose the hdd in step 7 rather than the usb. The installed Windows 8 OS will not boot up, if you do not revert the BIOS settings!

Please let me know if either of these methods work for you. If so kindly take a moment to rate my service. You can provide a rating by clicking on the stars and then clicking on submit. If you need more help, please let me know so we can continue to work together. Your complete satisfaction is my goal! Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
tried everything you suggested. No success, I will see what local PC repair shop can do.
Thanks for trying
Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome. I'm sorry that I was unable too assist.

Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 year ago.

i will opt out and open it up to other experts who may be able to help. No need to repeat anything. They'll see our entire convo wth all details.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and welcome

Can you power off the computer, remove the power cable and hold the power button down for 60 seconds then release.

Once done, connect the power, turn on the Laptop and tell me what happens now when it starts please.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
tried all the above with no success.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Thanks,

This removed residue power as the cause. If (0) also gets no response then we know it is not related to software, as no matter the software issue, that process always works as it will go straigt to the recovery manager.

We know it's not the power supply as the fans are also running, and the hard drive is also ok.

This confirms the issue as the Chipset on the motherboard that has faulted. This will require a replacement of the motherboard.

It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.

I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the page, then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.