Laptop

Laptop questions? Ask a laptop technician for answers ASAP!

Satellite C50D-A00L is having a battery charging issue. I've…

Customer Question
Satellite C50D-A00L is having a...
Satellite C50D-A00L is having a battery charging issue. I've read that a BIOS update to v1.30 should fix this, but when trying to execute the update, it gets the error that the system battery does not have the required amount of charge in it HELLO!! This is why I need to flash the BIOS! The AC adapter is sufficient to maintain power to the laptop, and if the power goes out and the bios gets screwed-up, then the laptop was toast anyway. I NEED A WORKAROUND FOR THE BATTERY REQUIREMENT...
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Laptop
3/2/2016
Laptop technician: comp_audio, 15 year veteran in auto electronics replied 2 years ago
comp_audio
comp_audio, 15 year veteran in auto electronics

Hello, it sure is a strange problem. However, I would like to ask, do you have anyone else with the same or similar toshiba laptop and or ac charger? If not can you tell me if this machine is under warranty any longer?

I've read that this is a problem with many Toshiba laptops. BIOS updates usually resolve the non-charging issue, but the programmers have written code into the update program that requires the AC adapter AND working battery (with min 20% charge) are present. No, it is not under warranty. I'm fixing this for a friend
Basically, I need to flash the BIOS without the battery requirement.

Ah, I see. That is the case, it is a fail safe to guard against turning a laptop into a brick. Sadly as far as I know there is no work around except for getting another laptop to charge the battery, unless the battery is truly bad. Sometimes I have seen the ac adapter be the cause of this as well.

I can look and check my sources to see if there is indeed any kind of work around. BRB

no, I'm not on the Toshiba now, I'm on my Alienware.. Without updating the BIOS, this thing is a brick anyway
the Toshiba, not my Alienware)

LOL, I know what you meant.

Check this page out to assist you with determining if it is the battery, ac adapter or mainboard causing the issue. Or at least try to determine it.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2404104,00.asp

Then this link actually describes your exact issue with a work around. Not sure if you have the equipment, but maybe your friend might have them or able to get them.

http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/General-Troubleshooting/Satellite-A665-S6070-Cannot-update-BIOS/td-p/248322

I hope that I have been of help. I know I was not able to give you the fix or workaround you probably wanted, but at least there is something you can do or your friend can do.

Please remember to rate my support I have given today so that I can receive the credit for working with you. Thanks in advance.

Well, the laptop will only run on the AC adapter, as when it's pulled, the system immediately shuts off, so PC mag's ideas are not a solution. I've already read every Toshiba forum on this issue, and tried every one that I was able to with the available hardware. What I really needed was a software solution to removing the battery check from the bios update program. I appreciate your time, however I don't think I should be charged for this.

While I am sorry that there is no solution available that you seek such as a software to circumvent the safeguards put in place. But this is in no way my fault, and although you had possibly seen the same forum page I sent you to, what you came on here for was to either find a solution your verify what you hoped was not the case. In this instance you simply verified with other tech minded individuals that the sad fact is there is no way around this issue. With that being said, you could reach out to Toshiba and see if they have a authorized repair location close to you. What they could do is temporarily put your friends mainboard into a good working shell and be able to flash it and put it back. That way the bios could be updated and possibly fix your issue. Other than that there is no viable option.

Agreed. I don't mind giving you a top rating, but as the advertised lead-up to all this suggested, if the problem is not resolved satisfactorily, the there will be no charge on my card.. I'm hoping this is the case.
I was looking for a workaround for the battery requirement in the bios update program
Quote: "The ACadapter is sufficient to maintain power to the laptop, and if the power goes out and the bios gets screwed-up, then the laptop was toast anyway. I NEED A WORKAROUND FOR THE BATTERY REQUIREMENT... "

I will submit this for you as not being satisfied with your results, although not my fault. his means I just spent the last 30 minutes researching this for nothing. I know its not your fault either, but we techs only get a small portion of the amount paid, and when it comes to small ones like these where there is nothing we can do, well it makes us less likely to want to jump on these small tickets cause they often end up with not getting accepted and or rating.

Thus, we put in the time to try and help, but there was nothing that could be done from the beginning.

Anyways. Good luck with your battery and laptop.

sorry, thx I've spent the last 3 days on this without success which I will not be paid for either.. it happens

Could you at least rate the service I gave?