Laptop

Laptop questions? Ask a laptop technician for answers ASAP!

I have a new Windows 10 laptop. I use some applications

Customer Question
where I need to use...
I have a new Windows 10 laptop. I use some applications where I need to use the F1 to F12 keys. However, they're not activated until I press the FN (function key). How can change the computer so I don't have to press the FN key in order to use, say, the F5 key.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Laptop
2/29/2016
Laptop technician: Quiksilver07070, Computer Support Specialist replied 2 years ago
Quiksilver07070
Quiksilver07070, Computer Support Specialist

Hello and thank you for choosing JUSTANSWER.com

.

Some computers will allow you to DISABLE the Fn key.

.

But this is done in BIOS, and only certain models of computers will do it.

.

So, what is your Make and Model of computer?

This is a Toshiba Satellite Radius 12 P25W. I don't think we want to disable the FN key. We want it to work like it does on all other laptops I've owned (which is about 10). That is, pressing the F5 key alone invokes the program code for F5. Pressing the FN key plus F5 invokes the alternate function for the key.

you would have to write a custom batch script to REVERSE how the keyboard is originally designed. Not the easiest task.

.

However i do beleive there is software that will let you customize your keyboard in just about every thinkable combination there is.

.

Let me see if i can find it.

Are you sure? Wouldn't it just be a setting? I googled the issue and a number of things came up. Just not for my model and Windows 10.
Forget it. It was a simple setting. found it on Google. Can't believe you were thinking I would have to write a special batch script.