Laptop

Laptop questions? Ask a laptop technician for answers ASAP!

Can't log into Windows. Changed password but just keeps

Customer Question
Can't log into Windows. Changed...
Can't log into Windows. Changed password ***** just keeps cycling
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Laptop
2/21/2016
Laptop technician: Quiksilver07070, Computer Support Specialist replied 2 years ago
Quiksilver07070
Quiksilver07070, Computer Support Specialist

Hello and thank you for choosing JUSTANSWER.com

.

Very sorry to hear you are having so much trouble with your password, and i would like to help you the fastest way possible.

So, what version of Windows do you have? Is it Windows 8, or Windows 10, or even Windows 7, or Windows XP?

10

Okay thank you.

Windows 10 is NEW....and can be confusing as to HOW to login.

Windows 10 now give you 2 options to login......a LOCAL account Login, and a LIVE account Login.

.

The Local account is just a Username, for example: JohnDoe which is also accompanied by a password.

The LIVE login requires an Email address as the Username, for example:***@******.*** and again is also accompanied by a password.

.

So, which Login are you trying to recover the password *****?

When I turn the computer on a screen comes up with an email username and demands a password, which I just reset with Microsoft, so I know it's correct. When I try to log in a spinning circle comes up but nothing happens. I really don't even care if the computer is passworded at all. Just want to turn it on and use it

Okay, and is that computer conected to the internet?

It must have internet access if you want to login with a LIVE account (it is a LIVE account, because you said it listed an Email address as the Username)

.

So, make sure you have this computer plugged into the internet WITH A CABLE....dont use WiFi....yet!

.

Once you can Login, THEN you can switch over to WiFi....but first you need to connect to the internet......and the easiest way is to use the Ethernet cable.

Ugh. Is this going to keep happening? Is there anyway to I password *****? I don't keep Ethernet cables lying around
The only connection I have available is wireless. How did this happen? I don't have an Ethernet connection

Yeah, you will need to enter a password ***** time you start your computer. That is how it is these days.

That is a feature of Windows 10, it is extremely secure!

.

However, with the proper tweeking, you can get a computer to BYPass the password, when you start the computer, and have it land you on the Desktop upon startup.

.

But this can ONLY be done ONCE you have full access to the computer. So, you have to login first.

The LIVE login requires you to be conetced to the internet.

.

It happened when you did the upgrade......and you were connected to the internet Via WiFi.

After the upgrade, Windows 10 was not able to connect over the WiFi (for whatever reason, im not sure) and now is not able to verify your password *****

So, you NOW need to connect it to internet....HOWEVER you do that. But the best way is with a cable that plugs into the router or WiFi.

There should be atleast 1 or 2 ports available you can use to connect a cable to.

.

If you want you can try a different method.......but im pretty sure you cant login due to lack of internet connection.

Would you like to try different method?

How do I prevent this from ever happening again? Spotty wireless connections are pretty common

On windows 10, you cant. Windows 10 requires that you LOGIN every time you restart the computer, or if you LOCK the screen.

That is how they designed it.

.

Unless you mean.... How do you TWEEK the system to keep from asking for a password ***** LOGIN?

Still trying to find a cable and connect to wifi

I have a tutorial i can give you (that i have used many times) that outlines HOW to keep your password ***** being entered each time you start windows.

http://www.howtogeek.com/112919/how-to-make-your-windows-8-computer-logon-automatically/

Connected to wireless router with usb cable and nothing is happening. This is a new computer. Don't even recall installing any upgrades or updates, was this automatic? Will bypassing the password ***** this problem in the future?
Same problem. Circle is just cycling

USB cable...REALLY?

Come on now...that is not going to work

I don't even have an Ethernet port on this computer
what can I use?

Uhh....REALLY!

What is your EXACT make and Model of computer?

Toshiba satellite cl15-t-b1204x. Per the bottom of the computer

Indeed, it does NOT have a LAN port......what a POS.

.

So, when you put in yoru password......it just spins and spins........does it ever give you a message? Like your password ***** ***** or something like that?

No message. It does that if the password ***** ***** With the correct password ***** just spins endlessly

Okay, so if hte passwor dis wrong....it tells you.

But if the password ***** ***** just spins and spins, and nothign ever happens? How long have you waited?

Probably at least 20 minutes. I've been trying off and on all day. It's been going on during this entire convrrsation

Have you changed your WiFi password *****?

have you mad ANY changes to the WiFi recently?

No. The signal is spotty sometimes but no changes

Okay......can you move closer to the WiFi, so that the signal is stronger.

That may be what is causing the issue.....it cant coommunicate to verify your password......so it just spins and spins.

.

Let me know if it works when you are CLOSER to the WiFi.

I was standing next to the router when I connected with the isn cable
I have a strong wifi signal on this phone. Not helping with the vomputer

Hmm, this is quite interesting.

.

Did you ever have it workign before?

I mean did the password ***** before, and you could login normally, and its only in the past day or so that this problem has occurred?

.

Or, has this ALWASY been a problem ever since you upgraded to Windows 10? Have you EVER been able to Login to Windows 10?

I got the computer a few months ago. It came with Windows 10. I never upgraded. It worked for a while but We didn't use it much. I mostly used my work laptop. A while back my son told me he couldn't log in and I didn't have time to address it. I reset the password ***** I think this Microsoft password ***** ***** new layer of security. I don't remember it begore

okay,

So can you give me the username and password ***** you know it...so i can check if it works online.

Did you get this laptop BRAND NEW? or did you get it used?

I understand if you are leary about giving me the UN and PW, as you dont know or trust me......but i assure you, if i was nefarious with sensitive information I Would not have a job for very long.

In addition....you can change the PW.

Brand new. I'm going to change password ***** give to you

okay

Username***@******.***Password *****

Nope....it did NOT work!

.

Did you make a Typo somewhere?

Wait......it DID work

So this is your Microsoft Account Username.

This is the Same Username you need to use when you LOGIN to your Windows 10 Laptop......and you are saying it just WILL NOT login? It just sits and Spins?

At the login screen, are you able to choose another/different account?

If so.....try using the same account again.......and make sure you enter in the FULL USERNAME......*****@******.***

YOu have to include the @gmail.com for the username.

This account is Live, and Well.

So there might be somethign up with the account on the computer itself.

YOu may have to use a completely different account....but just to login...once you have access to the computer again, you can go through and potentially fix the issue with the current account (*****@******.***)

The looping screen, which is it is still stuck on, lists the full username with gmail, then it says welcome with the spinning circle next to it
How would I do that?

Okay......maybe it wasnt left long enough after it saysd WELCOME.

I know you said you had waited 20 minutes.

Let the Welcome message with the spinning cirlce stay on there overnight. It might just be trying to update (which can look like nothign is happeneing)

.

Was 20 minuites the longest you waited in the past?

What happens after the Welcome message and the spinning circle? Do you just turn the machine OFF? and then back on again, because it looks like nothign is happening? Or dies it reboot by itself?

I think after the message that says Welcome, with the spinning circle.....that the Login was processed and its just trying to update.....and that can take a LONG time......in the past has taken many many hours.

So how about leaving it like that overnight?

It just said its updating and is preparing auyomatic repair

is that a NEW message?

Or have you seen this before, and it normally does this everytime?

This is all new

Okay good......it shoudl continue on the update, and after its done....let you login, and use it normally.

You just nbeed to let it do its thing. Be patient

Dont turn it off......just let it keep spinning and checking......evern if its been hours.....just let it do its thing.

Your WiFi is spotty you said, so that might be what is causing it to take so long

Please take a moment to rate my performance.

Thank you!

Thanks. That tutorial will tell me how to bypass the password?

Yeah......bypass....but you stilll have to use a PW...it just does not ask you for it when you start computer.

It keeps restarting automatic repair

Maybe you have some hardware failure......its possible you have a hard drive starting to fail.

But seeing how this is a fairly NEW computer....i dont THINK that is the cause....but it is possible.

.

Is it still under warranty?

Do you have the Serial number?

Says Windows did not start correctly , press restart , goes into automatic repair, diagnosing your PC then restart screen comes up again. Just hit advanced option

Serial Number will allow me to cross check warranty status....or it SHOULD let me......things change though.

you dont have an option to Start computer normally, without going into the Repair?

7F095220S
Won't let me do reset. Says need additional space on drive to reinstall Windows which makes no sense because I haven't done anything with it
I have that option. It just keeps cycling through that message I told you about before

Yeah sounds like you need service on this machine....Unfortunately it sounds more and more like a hard drive issue.

.

Luckily you are STILL under warranty.....which is AWESOME!

Warranty Expiration Date:Oct 15, 2016

.

I would advise you get this machine serviced.

When you call, or contact them....make sure you tell them it will NOT power on at all.

This will keep them from trying to troubleshoot with you, and ask that you send it in for repair instead.

Unless you WANT to do the troubleshooting steps with them? Up to you.

.

Its not the first time a NEW machine has had hardware problems......actually its quite common.

That why they only offer a 1 year warranty......thats all they design and engineer these machines to last......kida crazy...but true.

Toshiba Notebook Depot Service in the United States

This service option will be available for the duration of your limited warranty period.

The Toshiba Notebook Depot offers customers a fast and convenient repair solution for in-warranty service. Please call Toshiba Support at 1-***-***-**** to set-up a repair.

Thank you!

Did you have any follow-up questions, about this particular issue?

If not, Please take a moment to RATE my performance. Thank you!