Md. Sadique
Md. Sadique, Engineer
Experience:  Engineer with 7+ yrs. experience as a software troubleshooter, developer & hardware support.
22727371

My Extensa5420 laptop will not boot up. When I press the on

Customer Question

My Extensa5420 laptop will not boot up. When I press the on button the battery light comes on green for about 10 seconds then shuts down. Do I need a new battery. I have charged it and even with the charger connected it shuts down.
Category: Laptop
Expert:  sjena1982 replied 1 year ago.

Hi Welcome to justanswer

Please remove the battery and connect the AC charger directly

Then press the power button and check if any power LED is ON or not ?

Regards ,

Satchi

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
power on light comes on for about 20 seconds then shuts mdown
Expert:  sjena1982 replied 1 year ago.

The problem you are facing can be caused due to

1 Overheating.
2 Not enough power

Since it is doing the same thing while connected to the charger, we can rule out the 2nd cause.

There is also two beep sounds before the automatic shutdown which also indicates that a Thermal event occured and the system is turning itself off to prevent damage to the processor.

The solution for the overheating problem is to clean the processor heat sink fan assembly to make sure that no dust is causing the trouble.

If you're lucky, you might just have RAM that's gone bad or it might be issue with motherboard.

Reagards

Satchi