Laptop

Laptop questions? Ask a laptop technician for answers ASAP!

I have an Asus laptop UL50A. I do not like to leave it

Customer Question
Hi. I have an Asus...
Hi. I have an Asus laptop UL50A. I do not like to leave it connected to the internet all of the time. I used to be able to turn the wireless on and off by using the Fn + F2 keys. This no longer works. Nothing at all happens when I press these keys. Can you help me figure out how to get this functional again? Or is there another way I can switch the wireless on and off? I do not want to shut off the wireless on the modem as I need it for my phone.
Thank You, Jill
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Laptop
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/19/2016
Laptop technician: Richard, Laptop Specialist replied 2 years ago
Richard, Laptop Specialist

Hi there and welcome Jill

You can click Start, then type in

ncpa.cpl

Press enter

Right click the wireless network connection and select Enable.

I actually advise on this method as its confirms 100% that the wireless is off as opposed to the button which at times may not be able to send the signal to the card, here you see it actually disabling.

Can you do this now and let me know how you go please

It worked great. Thank You (-:
I don't think my Fn key is working at all. I can't dim or brighten the screen with it. Is there a way to get the Fn key working again.

yes, go to this link

https://www.asus.com/support/Download/3/211/0/1/Q9LeenxDjA38H7ux/29/

Under utilities download and install ATK Generic Function Service Utility which reinstalls the FN functionality again.

Let me know how you go Jill please.

I tried to download it but it shows up in a zip file. I have no idea what to do with it.

Ok, right click on it and select Expand then run the setup file in the expanded file set please Jill

I can also do these steps for you, and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please.

When I right click on it, it gives me options to open (it then shows up as a bunch of different files in a zip folder), or show in folder. There is no expand option. I really don't want to pay anything additional. I already paid for and downloaded driver navigation tonight, which updated 31 drivers. Shouldn't that have fixed the Fn key problem?

Thats the last thing you should have downloaded, that a Malware infection.....

Only ever get drivers from the official site like we are doing now.

When you see a bunch of folders, its the setup file you double click to run it Jill.

I would also advise you get rid of the driver navigation you installed.

I uninstalled the driver navigation. Hopefully I have not messed anything up with it.
There are 6 setup files. Which one do I double click on?

The Setup.exe, its the only one with a real icon

Installation is complete, but I need to restart computer to see if it worked.

Correct, do that come back here and tell me the results please

How can I find you again?

You can check your emails as you have emails from us, or press CTRL + D to add this page to your favourites.

Or come to www.justanswer.com

Please do return though Jill so we can do the rating when this is fixed

I just got a message from my antivirus program saying ATK ..... is not completely uninstalled and there are 2 more files to delete. Now I am really confused because it said it installed it.

ok, as I said its malware, so its not as simple as just uninstalling Jill.... this is why you should always avoid these programs.

But that was the ATK utility from asus site, not the driver navigation.
Anyhow, I reinstalled ATK utility and it seemed to work. I'll restart my computer and try the Fn key.

ok, not sure why your Anti Virus is doing this but please restart and let me know how you go

I am back after restarting. The Fn key is still not working.

ok, can you also download from there the ATK Hotkey Utility and install and restart please in the event this was also removed.

My computer just shut down of it's own accord.
I am now on my phone. it is starting up again now. If I pay your $29 fee, can you get the malware off my computer and get the function key working again?

yes

OK, I just paid the fee. My computer is Booted up and browser is open.

Sorry but no payment came through Jill, you need to click on and accept the request please and that hasn't yet been done

It asked me to update my payment information and I did it. Now when I click on accept offer, it is asking me to update my payment information again

ok... I cannot see any of this sorry, looks to be an issue with your payment details, can you contact customer service on 1(###) ###-####to sort this out please