Richard, Laptop Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 year experience in Computers, Mobile devices and Networks
32989067

I have an Asus laptop UL50A. I do not like to leave it

Customer Question

Hi. I have an Asus laptop UL50A. I do not like to leave it connected to the internet all of the time. I used to be able to turn the wireless on and off by using the Fn + F2 keys. This no longer works. Nothing at all happens when I press these keys. Can you help me figure out how to get this functional again? Or is there another way I can switch the wireless on and off? I do not want to shut off the wireless on the modem as I need it for my phone.
Thank You, Jill
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and welcome Jill

You can click Start, then type in

ncpa.cpl

Press enter

Right click the wireless network connection and select Enable.

I actually advise on this method as its confirms 100% that the wireless is off as opposed to the button which at times may not be able to send the signal to the card, here you see it actually disabling.

Can you do this now and let me know how you go please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It worked great. Thank You (-:
I don't think my Fn key is working at all. I can't dim or brighten the screen with it. Is there a way to get the Fn key working again.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

yes, go to this link

https://www.asus.com/support/Download/3/211/0/1/Q9LeenxDjA38H7ux/29/

Under utilities download and install ATK Generic Function Service Utility which reinstalls the FN functionality again.

Let me know how you go Jill please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried to download it but it shows up in a zip file. I have no idea what to do with it.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Ok, right click on it and select Expand then run the setup file in the expanded file set please Jill

I can also do these steps for you, and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I right click on it, it gives me options to open (it then shows up as a bunch of different files in a zip folder), or show in folder. There is no expand option. I really don't want to pay anything additional. I already paid for and downloaded driver navigation tonight, which updated 31 drivers. Shouldn't that have fixed the Fn key problem?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Thats the last thing you should have downloaded, that a Malware infection.....

Only ever get drivers from the official site like we are doing now.

When you see a bunch of folders, its the setup file you double click to run it Jill.

I would also advise you get rid of the driver navigation you installed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I uninstalled the driver navigation. Hopefully I have not messed anything up with it.
There are 6 setup files. Which one do I double click on?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

The Setup.exe, its the only one with a real icon

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Installation is complete, but I need to restart computer to see if it worked.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Correct, do that come back here and tell me the results please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How can I find you again?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

You can check your emails as you have emails from us, or press CTRL + D to add this page to your favourites.

Or come to www.justanswer.com

Please do return though Jill so we can do the rating when this is fixed

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just got a message from my antivirus program saying ATK ..... is not completely uninstalled and there are 2 more files to delete. Now I am really confused because it said it installed it.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, as I said its malware, so its not as simple as just uninstalling Jill.... this is why you should always avoid these programs.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But that was the ATK utility from asus site, not the driver navigation.
Anyhow, I reinstalled ATK utility and it seemed to work. I'll restart my computer and try the Fn key.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, not sure why your Anti Virus is doing this but please restart and let me know how you go

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am back after restarting. The Fn key is still not working.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, can you also download from there the ATK Hotkey Utility and install and restart please in the event this was also removed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My computer just shut down of it's own accord.
I am now on my phone. it is starting up again now. If I pay your $29 fee, can you get the malware off my computer and get the function key working again?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

yes

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, I just paid the fee. My computer is Booted up and browser is open.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Sorry but no payment came through Jill, you need to click on and accept the request please and that hasn't yet been done

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It asked me to update my payment information and I did it. Now when I click on accept offer, it is asking me to update my payment information again
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok... I cannot see any of this sorry, looks to be an issue with your payment details, can you contact customer service on 1(###) ###-####to sort this out please