Laptop

Laptop questions? Ask a laptop technician for answers ASAP!

I have a new laptop and forgot the logonpassword, how can I…

Customer Question
I have a new laptop...
I have a new laptop and forgot the logonpassword, how can I reset it if I can't log onto Windows 10?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Laptop
2/19/2016
Laptop technician: Harold Hanna, Engineer replied 2 years ago
Harold Hanna
Harold Hanna, Engineer

Hello how are you today? Is the password ***** showing up after the first Windows boot screen?

Hello, I am wonderful, thank you. Yes, it is. How can I fix it?

Good evening Haley. What is the username for your laptop?

Not sure what difference that makes, but it is MBCSS

If you have an email associated as your log in, you can remotely change the password.

This is a new laptop that I purchased for my Church, I was sure I need the password ***** used it to log on before, now it is not working. I saw that you can build an Administrator account by going into Safe Boot with Command Prompt, but when I select the open, the computer restarts and goes back to the log on screen. Urgently need help please
No email is associated with this laptop

OK, and I know you said you used the previous password ***** before, are you sure that MBCSS was the username you were using previously? Does it give you choices for the user name?

It is the only option. I am not prompted for the userId

OK. Do you have a Windows 10 installation disc? You are correct you can do it from a command prompt. When you say you select open and it restarts, do you mean when you select Safe Mode with Command Prompt, it starts to load and then restarts before the command prompt comes up?

No the laptop did not come with an installation disc. This are the steps I was trying: Open elevated command prompt by entering Safe mode with Command prompt. To go to Safe mode, use the power button on the sign-in screen and press Shift (key on the keyboard) + Restart. This will take you to the recovery boot menu. Click Troubleshoot> Advanced options> Startup settings. You then see a list where you can choose Safe Mode with Command prompt.
Type the following command: net user administrator /active:yes to activate the built-in administrator. However, when I select the Safe Mode with Command prompt option, it restarts and goes right back to the log on screen
Thank you for helping me, I need this laptop tomorrow and praying we can resolve it

You are doing this correctly, but it does not seem to be letting you get to the command prompt. We need another way to get there. If you can get access to another computer with Windows 10, you can create a recovery disc, and then boot to that disk, and use the command prompt from there. I am also looking for a recovery disc you may be able to download.

Ok, the laptop that I am on I upgrade to Windows 10

OK would it help you any to restore back to whatever Windows version you had previously? This of course depends on if you need information on the drive, or if you just need the computer in a workable state. I am still looking for the possibility of downloading a recovery disc.

The new laptop came with Windows 10, my old laptop I upgrade to it

Ahh OK I understand. Do you have a USB drive you can allow to be formatted or would you prefer DVD?

DVD, I don't have a thumb drive...I have an external that I can use if that will work

This is instructions on how to make a USB recovery drive from your working Windows 10 computer, to use on the Windows 10 computer to boot from it into either DOS or a recovery mode. If you have an external be aware that this will format everything off of the drive.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/create-a-recovery-drive

I'm looking for a way to do it on a DVD just in case.

This will work also, you should be able to download the ISO with this information to be able to repair your machine --

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/windows-10-recovery-options

That link will lead you to this download --

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

That will assist you with making the recovery tool.

Well I thought I had DVDs, but don't there all CDs

I believe you will need a 4gig DVD for this download or a thumb drive/external drive, just know it will format that device.

I understand. It has old data that I can remove
I am going to download and "Run the media creation tool.
Select Create installation media for another PC."

Yes.

Ok, let me start that. Do I lose the data I have put on the computer?

You shouldn't. Don't let it reinstall the OS, you can use it to get to a command prompt.

Ok, I am going to start now

Restore from a system restore point by selecting Advanced options > System Restore. This will remove recently installed apps, drivers, and updates that might be causing your PC problems. Restoring from a restore point won’t affect your personal files.

Ok

That is a system restore as far as Windows is concerned. You will want to get to a DOS prompt and do what you mentioned above, or try this way -

Following are the steps to reset a Windows 10 password:

1. Boot from the Windows 10 DVD. ...
  2. Press SHIFT + F10 to open a command prompt. ...
  3. Replace the file utilman.exe with cmd.exe. ...
  4. After you have replaced utilman.exe successfully, you can remove the DVD and restart your problematic Windows 10 installation:
Use the ISO option
or the USB flash

Yes that is fine if you can burn it to a DVD or USB. Here is the information in detail

https://4sysops.com/archives/reset-a-windows-10-password/

the instructions have UEFI and Secure Boot are disabled. i don't have the disable option it has UEFI or CSM

Which step of the instructions are you looking at?

OK I see where you are. If it doesn't ask about it just continue and try to get the command prompt up.

It is basically saying make sure you disable booting from the Windows drive and ensure you boot onto the DVD/external drive

Ok, with UEFI boot selected it goes to the log on screen and the Shift F10 does not work
I have the USB first on boot order

Are there any F keys when you turn on the computer that allow you to specify the boot device?

The FN key + 10 does nothing, but if i select the 10, it does do the F10 function

Try shift and F10

Nothing. When I select Shift & Restart, the Choose an Option comes up, I selected the "Use a device", then UEFI with USB

Has it booted from the external hard drive at all?

No, I feel the drive spinning but it goes to the log on

OK it should normally just boot from the USB if you have that selected, but per your question above about "UEFI and Secure Boot"

Go into the BIOS/UEFI and ensure Secure Boot is disabled, as it may be forcing it to boot from Windows. Also you can temporarily turn off boot options for the internal hard drive until you get the external one situated. The hard drive will still work, it will just not attempt to boot from it.

F9 to BIOS ?

It changes per computer vendor, it could be that but it will usually say right when the computer turns on. Let me know if you don't see it.

Do you need help finding the BIOS or did you get it to boot to the drive?

i do not get it is it F9

What type of laptop is it?

I will have to step away for a bit, I will be back in a couple of hours. If you disable the other boot options and get this to boot from your external hard drive, you will be able to go into a command prompt and move the proper files with the instructions given. If you have any questions please ask and I will be here this evening to assist. If you finish with the supplied instructions before I get back, please rate my assistance! I will be back soon.

Toshiba 156 Satellite C55B5319 Laptop PC with Intel Celeron N2840 Processor 4GB Memory 500GB Hard Drive and Windows 10 Home

OK hold down F2 while turning on the computer. Let me know if this helps. Then disable Secure Boot and as mentioned earlier you can turn off the other boot devices and turn them back on later.

I found that my external drive did not copy the ISO correctly. I am formatting the drive...it is slow

OK I was eating sorry I am back now. How is the format going? Do you know why it didn't go as planned last time?

I can not get the external drive to format and allow me to burn the ISO to it. I am going to buy some DVDs tomorrow and will try again.

OK did the Windows system recovery not properly put it on the hard drive?

From what I read it should have been almost automatic? You can also look into getting a cheap USB drive. Did it send you the recovery in ISO format? It looked to me like it would install everything itself after you ran the Windows rescue DVD software.

Harold Hanna
Harold Hanna
Harold Hanna, Engineer