Laptop

Laptop questions? Ask a laptop technician for answers ASAP!

I have a Gateway laptop that I believe the battery charger…

Customer Question
I have a Gateway laptop...
I have a Gateway laptop that I believe the battery charger has quit. It will not boot up with the AC power source plugged in. Normally I would trash this computer, but it has a lot of stuff on it I'd like to retrieve.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Laptop
2/17/2016
Laptop technician: ChrisC, Computer Enthusiast replied 2 years ago
ChrisC
ChrisC, Computer Enthusiast

Hi Daniel, my name is ***** ***** welcome to JustAnswer!

Can you tell me if this machine has a removable battery?

Hi again Daniel,

You seem to be away from your computer so I'll just leave the answer for you.

If the laptop has a removable battery, then first try this:

1. Remove the battery

2. Disconnect the charger

3. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds

4. Reinsert the battery and reconnect the charger

5. Attempt to boot the machine

If that doesn't work, then it sounds like you either have a bad charger (as you mentioned) or possibly even a bad motherboard. If that's the case, the bad component would simply have to be replaced. You could probably take it to a local computer shop and they could at least test the charger for you by using a universal charger to see if that's the problem. If it's simply the charger, that would be a pretty cheap fix. Otherwise, especially since you're already thinking about just scrapping it, it probably would not be worse the cost to repair.

As for getting your data off, if you have no way to power up the machine you can still remove the hard drive. Some machines have a compartment on the bottom that you can unscrew to get to the drive. For other machine you have to disassemble the computer.

Once you have the hard drive, you can use a drive enclosure to connect the drive to another computer and retrieve the files. Here's an example of an enclosure:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA72538R5662

I hope all this makes sense.

IMPORTANT: If you have any other questions on this just let me know and I'll help you in any way that I can. You can reply back to me at any time.

And before leaving this page, please use the rating box at the top to rate the answer at least 3 Stars/OK Service or better so that I receive credit for assisting you.