Laptop

Laptop questions? Ask a laptop technician for answers ASAP!

I bought a new hp laptop with Windows 10. Is McAtee which…

Customer Question
I bought a new hp...
I bought a new hp laptop with Windows 10. Is McAtee which seems to have been preinstalled adequate for moderate internet virus protection? How do I know it is functioning properly?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Laptop
2/15/2016
Laptop technician: Richard, Laptop Specialist replied 2 years ago
Richard, Laptop Specialist

Hi there and welcome

I am not a big fan of McAfee, it had its advantages in the past, but I believe there are better products that are actually free (McAfee will ask you to pay next year as you get 1 year free).

It will protect you, it is just more resource intensive on the computer.

My advise is to use a product called Avira. It's one of the current leaders, and is free for home use.

If you wish to use this instead, then you can download it from my link below

http://www.avira.com/en/avira-free-antivirus

Once installed, I would advise to uninstall mcAfee by pressing the windows key + X and clicking on Control Panel.

Then click on uninstall a program and choose McAfee and uninstall it there.

You will then be best protected. Like I said McAfee is protecting you, but it takes more resources on the computer, so slows it down, and Malware ( a form of viruses) do tend to get through. Its why its given out for free with computers now,

I can also do these steps for you, and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please.

Else If you have any problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you