Laptop

Laptop questions? Ask a laptop technician for answers ASAP!

I have a one year old HP laptop which runs on Windows 8.

Customer Question
Windows forced me to eventually...
I have a one year old HP laptop which runs on Windows 8. Windows forced me to eventually accept an update and ever since it does not work properly with my wireless router. I was fed up and bought a new HP laptop thinking it was the problem but it also runs on Windows 8 except it had the update already on it. I think it is Windows8.1. my phone and other computers work on this wireless router and both Windows 8 computers work on other wireless routers but will not connect in my home on that router. Is there something in the Newer version of Windows that is not compatible with my router. SI there a fix for this without replacing the router as it works with a Samsung phone and apple devices?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Laptop
The router is Infinitium Technicolor Model TG582n. I wonder if the router supports the updates by Windows? If now is ther a way to make them compatible?
2/15/2016
Laptop technician: Harold Hanna, Engineer replied 2 years ago
Harold Hanna
Harold Hanna, Engineer

Hello how are you this evening? It is extremely unlikely the problem is with the router itself, as you mention this router is working with other devices. Routers themselves all speak in the same "language" from the router to your computers/devices, so the brand of router should not matter. Are you sure your computers are in range of the router? What encryption type are you using? WEP, WPA2, etc? The most likely culprit is the distance to the router (bad signal), or incorrect passcode. Please give me more information as to what exactly Windows is saying when attempting to connect and we can further troubleshoot this issue.

Hi Harold, I dont think it is an issue of proximity as I have even connected the laptops to the Ethernet cable coming from the router. What happens is the computers running on Windows will occasionally connect but will only stay connected for a maximum of 5 minutes then I get a usual message on the browser saying that the connection has timed out. clicking on the "try again" box never works and even clicking disconnect and reconnecting never seams to do anything either. this is only happening with the windows 8 computers. Two macbook Pro's have no trouble as well as any other device without windows 8 seem to have no issue. A restart may work occasionally for each of the Two windows computers but, a connection will never last more than 5 minutes.

It disconnects when connect with Ethernet? Both of them? Was this with the same network cable?

Are you able to get into the router? What network encryption are you using? Are there a lot of networks around you? It is very odd that it doesn't work when directly connected. Are these the same copies of Windows 8?

different copies of Windows in each computer. The most recent Windows 8 computer was purchased in November. It has no ethernet connection and is a SSD. The other is 1 year old and has an ethernet that also drops service while connected. Today at a cafe the newer one kept dropping as well. Could it be that the phone still does well even if the service is poor? The properties and connections always show as strong? It also still shows me as being connected even when there is no service.

As far as your phone it should first use wi-fi then if that goes out it will attempt using the mobile signal. If your other devices are working fine I'd say it must either be the ethernet cord on the one computer, or the NIC itself. A new USB/PCI network card should only be about 10 dollars, and most come with a cord. This is if you buy it online, if you go to a store they'll try to get 30 from you.

I am sorry. I wrote as if you would be responding to the continued thread we have. It is the laptops that are not linking to the wifi from my router. Just windows 8 computers as a windows 7 works fine as well as apple products and my android phone products. Both windows 8 are dropping the internet signal even though the computer shows it is still connected at full strength. It can occasionally connect right after startup but never holds for more than five minutes.

OK. I do see what you said previously but not sure if you were working with someone else before. So it sounds like they are maintaining their connection to the wifi, but for some reason stop working on the internet after a few minutes. When you say they are "dropping" the connection, can you be more specific? Are you trying to use a browser and that is not working? And when you say it can occasionally connect, is it always connecting to the wifi, but occasionally works as it should, or is it not always connecting to the wifi whatsoever? Do you have any antivirus/firewall software installed on both of the Windows 8 machines?

Md. Sadique
Md. Sadique
Md. Sadique, Engineer